Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Pump Action Hunting?

Confirm what you local province state. I only have info for this two,,,

EASTERN CAPE: HUNTING PROCLAMATION 2017

Prohibited ways of hunting
    29 No person shall, unless he is the holder of a permit a authorising him to do so, hunt any wild animal-
    (h) by means of a firearm that discharges more than two shots without being manually reloaded.

LIMPOPO ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT

NO. 7 OF 2003
    38. Prohibited acts relating to ways of hunting or catching wild or alien animals.—(1) No person may without a permit
    (a) hunt specially protected wild animals, protected wild animals, game or nonindigenous wild animals with—
    (i) a firearm which after it has been discharged, automatically reloads and fires when the trigger is pulled or held in a discharged position;
    (ii) a firearm which discharges a rimfire cartridge of a calibre of 5,6 millimetres or smaller;
    (iii) a shotgun; or
    (iv) an airgun; or

Banned

With a pump you would have to be an expert to get off 3 killing shots on flying birds. A semi would make that possible, therefore the limit of 2 shots. Many people hunt with pumps as with a 28 inch barrel they have good balance and throw good patterns. The safety aspect can be a factor as it is not easy to see if it is loaded or not.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Confirm what you local province state. I only have info for this two,,,

EASTERN CAPE: HUNTING PROCLAMATION 2017

Prohibited ways of hunting
    29 No person shall, unless he is the holder of a permit a authorising him to do so, hunt any wild animal-
    (h) by means of a firearm that discharges more than two shots without being manually reloaded.

LIMPOPO ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT

NO. 7 OF 2003
    38. Prohibited acts relating to ways of hunting or catching wild or alien animals.—(1) No person may without a permit
    (a) hunt specially protected wild animals, protected wild animals, game or nonindigenous wild animals with—
    (i) a firearm which after it has been discharged, automatically reloads and fires when the trigger is pulled or held in a discharged position;
    (ii) a firearm which discharges a rimfire cartridge of a calibre of 5,6 millimetres or smaller;
    (iii) a shotgun; or
    (iv) an airgun; or
    I'm not familiar with EC law, but the above quote from LEMA (act7 of 2003) refers to hunting etc. of wild animals. It actually forbids the use of shotguns altogether (iii).

There is a different section that deals with hunting of game birds (and hares). This one allows shotguns, but with capacity limits on self-loaders.

User

Magazine capacity restriction would only apply to semi-auto's and the restriction would be to limit the number of shots fired before manually reloading to two. Thus 1+1.

I have hunted many a pushpig with my Winchester Defender , the slugs are deadly accurate up to 10-15 meters where I feel comfortable shooting at. I have hear tales about ooms that went guinea fowl hunting and stumbled upon some impala and took the chance and downed 2 with AAAs at very short range apparently

User

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmal View Post
    I have hunted many a pushpig with my Winchester Defender , the slugs are deadly accurate up to 10-15 meters where I feel comfortable shooting at. I have hear tales about ooms that went guinea fowl hunting and stumbled upon some impala and took the chance and downed 2 with AAAs at very short range apparently
    Wow is the AAA's that violent??

Thanks for the input.

Banned

Hunted bush pig with Pre 64 using #1 and AAA ( I think) - they drop B/Pig will certainly drop a Impala at 20 m, not that I would do so.
    I motivated mine simply as a dangerous game weapon to be used on bush pig in thick conditions. I stated that I was not hunting but doing problem animal control under adverse conditions where sporting practice was last thing on list of reasons to use a pump action.

User

SSG,LG or slugs...15M max to stay consistent on kills.
    Yes 20M could kill an Impala.

Haha anything is violent if used correctly haha , put yes your range is just limited I dont feel comfortable further than 10 m with AAA, Slug ill take my chance up to 20 max but then I know its gonna drop right there im a very ethical hunter and never take unnecessary chances that could lead to the animal suffering , you'll read online guys going up to 35/40 meters with slug but that gambling in my eyes

User

It’s all about your ability and where you are comfortable with to shoot at in order to make a good kill shot. Slugs are very accurate. We make our own slugs and these ones were taken out of an ant-heap at 70m and went into the same hole.

This is one of our slugs which I took out of a large boar. They are extremely effective and I only use them for hunting bushpigs these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast