Default .308 Scope Advice

I am looking for a new scope to place on my Zastava .308 (K98 Mauser Action).

The rifle will primarily be used for bushveld hunting with the occasional plains field hunting and long range target practice (I may just get hooked to PRS - I know this is a SFP scope and a FFP is preferred for this application).

The scope I have in mind is the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle.

Any opinion on the above scope? Will it be fit for purpose? Open to other options.

Budget +/- R10,000.00.

User

Default Re: .308 Scope Advice

Would also look at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical in FFP, they go for around R10,000 (because you mentioned Long Range Target)

User

Maybe just look at the Leupold VX-3I LRP 6.5-20x50mm...slightly more than your budget, but so value for money....

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/leupold-...pe-172340.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeanAnderson View Post
    I am looking for a new scope to place on my Zastava .308 (K98 Mauser Action).
    The scope I have in mind is the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle.
    Budget +/- R10,000.00.
    Your choice is a good scope by a good manufacturer, can not fault choice - I think I have one of those on the 308 N/Mag.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was initially looking at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical in FFP but these are sold out nationwide and I think for my purpose they are "too" focused on PRS as opposed to primarily hunting.

As for the Leupold. That looks like an awesome scope slightly out of my budget I also think that 6.5 magnification may be a bit much for bushveld hunting. I was looking for a maximum of 4 times on the lower end of the magnification.

Hi Dean

Hope you well.
    Did you end up purchasing the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle?
    For your .308 for bushveld hunting?

Would like some feedback

User

For bushveld hunting you don't need a BDC reticle. A normal plex reticle will serve you well

@Luke - I ended up getting the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 SF BDC Scope. It was cheaper than the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 and I could not find stock of Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 in the time frame I needed.

If this fails me in bushveld hunting I will make my .308 a dedicated plains game hunting rifle and get a dirty 'ol six for my bushveld hunting with a 3 x 9 scope.