Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Age of Animal - Meat Hunting.

This is a young karoo kudu, but check the body muscle compared to the two young bulls you posted, a big for horn size animal, small horns like a very young animal, but big in body and mass, dunno if it's because they climb mountains each day :

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Personally I only shoot females, they tend to be more tasty than males to my palate.
    As we have largely taken the role of being the only predator of normally hunted game, we may actually be doing the balance of the male to female ratio a favour as opposed to having a detrimental effect since if we always shoot males the ratio goes out of kilter.
    I hazard a guess that that kudu is way older than the horn size indicates, but Mr Stone is far better versed than I am in such matters.
    I used to prefer females also.

But one bull is surely enough to sort out many of the females. Or do Kudu practice monogamy?

Farm in Steytlerville has the most Kudu bulls I have ever seen. Only allowed to hunt slightly older bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

T Stone - post 3 , the animal I thought to be older(much) and post 21, you put post 3 at 18 months, what would you put post 21 at then ?. I do not doubt your correctness, its just that post 21 looks young in every way even leaving horns out of picture. To me post 3 looks old even leaving horns out. If # 3 is 18 months - what would 21 be ?.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    This is a young karoo kudu, but check the body muscle compared to the two young bulls you posted, a big for horn size animal, small horns like a very young animal, but big in body and mass, dunno if it's because they climb mountains each day :

I have also seen and wondered about this.

Horn size was much smaller than the others hunted on the farm but the weight was the heaviest. Those mountains are tough to climb.

But I suppose genetics also play a role.

Always keen to try judge horns 52"? That is on the bigger bull Messor.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    This is from Game Farm Management by J. du P. Bothma, I have found it to be accurate in my own experience. Again, there are exceptions but they are rare.

Have always used this a guide. I am sure much research went into it.

The problem is of course if one is paying top dollar for an animal that you would want as much meat as possible.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Generally speaking,the thickness of a Kudu bull's neck is a good indication of the overall weight and is easier to judge than trying to assertain a correlation between weight and horn lengh.
    Those with a thick neck will vastly outweigh a bull with big horns and a scrawny neck.

T, I think the reason why people go for the biggest animals on most game farms is because you pay for the animal. If I had to pay per kg I would also shoot the younger animals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    T Stone - post 3 , the animal I thought to be older(much) and post 21, you put post 3 at 18 months, what would you put post 21 at then ?. I do not doubt your correctness, its just that post 21 looks young in every way even leaving horns out of picture. To me post 3 looks old even leaving horns out. If # 3 is 18 months - what would 21 be ?.
    Treeman, I would say between 12 and 18 months. It is certainly huge for a bull of that age.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    T, I think the reason why people go for the biggest animals on most game farms is because you pay for the animal. If I had to pay per kg I would also shoot the younger animals.

Even with us, where people are paying per kg, some hunters are unhappy about shooting sub adult animals. If you pay per animal, I can understand wanting as much meat for your money as possible.

A young man who shot a year old kudu last year, and drew a lot of flack from his fellow hunters for doing so, came back this year looking for an animal of the same size. He and everyone else who ate of that animal was highly impressed with the tenderness and flavor of the kudu steaks.

If you use all of your meat for biltong and wors I guess age does not really matter though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast