Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default DOMESTIC VACUUM FREEZE DRIER SALES - SOUTH AFRICA

Something like the Harvestright is available in places like the USA, but I haven't yet been able to find anything similar locally.

Does anybody know whether we have similar products available ?

Default Re: DOMESTIC VACUUM FREEZE DRIER SALES - SOUTH AFRICA

Also interested.

User

I'm waiting for a local manufacturer (Marcold) to quote me to custom-build something suitable, and also waiting for Harvestrite to provide a shipping quote from the USA. I'll post details.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jond View Post
    Also interested.
    Me too.

Sent from my BlackBerry DTEK60 using Tapatalk Pro

User

I got hold of a local manufacturer, who makes vacuum freeze driers for both scientific and commercial purposes, but who was reluctant to even offer a ball park cost estimate to manufacture a domestic machine, similar to the HarvestRight, and simply said that a custom-made machine would not be priced competitively, whatever that meant in his mind.

Importing the HarvestRight from the USA would look approximately as follows:

Medium machine USD2,345
    Large machine USD3,195

Crating & packaging charge USD185

Shipping USD1,165

Import Duty (I have not yet identified the correct import tarriff code, but expect anything up to 25%)

Clearing and Forwarding - uncalculated

User

You can buy a hell of a lot of freeze dried food for that price, or a ton more of "normal" long term storage foods

User

I got a friend that is a mechanical engineer, did his MIng on Heatpumps, which is as far as I know part of the technology used in these freezedriers. He works for a Company in Kemptonpark that design and manufacture al forms of heatpumps for purpose made application. He had to get US Security clearance as well as in the Netherlands as they do a lot of work for the Dutch Army plus some American work. A really smart guy.
    Can ask him and link you up if you have a serious need for one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I got a friend that is a mechanical engineer, ...Can ask him and link you up if you have a serious need for one.
    Thanks for your kind offer, FS - at this point, owning one of these contraptions is much more a want than a need, according to my present disposable budget.

Based on previous advice, custom-building a domestic vacuum freeze drier to suitable specs, as a once-off, could well be quite uneconomical - or it might not. Nobody has done a build-costing yet.

The advantage to running a locally-made a product, is that I'm assuming that components and spares might be more readily accessible.

The bottom line is that I don't have R50K to sink into such a luxury, right now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Thanks for your kind offer, FS - at this point, owning one of these contraptions is much more a want than a need, according to my present disposable budget.

Based on previous advice, custom-building a domestic vacuum freeze drier to suitable specs, as a once-off, could well be quite uneconomical - or it might not. Nobody has done a build-costing yet.

The advantage to running a locally-made a product, is that I'm assuming that components and spares might be more readily accessible.

The bottom line is that I don't have R50K to sink into such a luxury, right now.
    I know the feeling of wanting something totally without being able to justify it as a need.
    Will anyway chat to him next time I phone him and ask him about it.
    If I may ask- what do you envision of freeze drying and why?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    ... If I may ask- what do you envision of freeze drying and why?
    Just a few cadavers. Personal reasons.

I'm kidding.

According to popular sources, freeze dried food reportedly retains up to 97% of it's nutritional value, texture and colour, for up to 25 years, when stored correctly.

For anybody that's looking into large-scale long-term food storage, it seems like a really sensible and practical way of preserving not only calories, but nutrients, in an incredible range of fresh and prepared foods - even raw eggs & meat, certain fresh fruit and vegetables, or desserts & soups - that would require a relatively small of amount of reconstitution or preparation to become edible again.

The downside is of course the initial capital investment.

Thanks, FS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast