Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor - Recoil

Hi All

I am looking for a hunting rifle for my 12 year old son. I have narrowed it down to either a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The main consideration is recoil and "take down power". I am in 2 minds and need some input.

I have shot 243's and know there recoil. I have never shot a 6.5 CM so cannot compare their recoil.

I now need to know from someone with experiece with the 6.5 Creedmoor. What speeds can I get from a 100Gr CM bullet, How will the recoil be - compared to a 100Gr bullet out of a 243? How will the trajectory differ between a 100gr 243 and 100gr 6.5 CM - which will be the flatter trajectory and by how much? What size animal can you kill with a 100gr CM.
    He will only hunt springbuck and Blesbuck for now but might want to shoot a Blackwildebees/Blouwildebees later in life.

Can a 140gr CM bullet be used on Blackwildebees'/Blouwildebees?

My head is leaning towards the 6.5 CM, because you get heavier bullets for it. So he will get more "killing power"/safety net from the bigger/heavier bullets avialable in the 6.5 CM - once he can handle the recoil.

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor - Recoil

My daughter was 10 when she took her first Blesbok with a suppressed 3006. Suppressors these days really do take a lot of kick out of rifles. She shoots the 6.5CM with factory 140gn ammo no problem. As for 'stopping power', where is TStone, he shoots more animals in a year than a lot of people I know.

User

I have the 6.5CM and shoot the 243 quite regularly. To be honest I can say I feel like there is a slight increase in recoil in the 6.5CM but not something I would write home about.

I dont personally reload for the 243 but I have heard reports and i think there was a recent thread attesting to the "finicky'ness" of the 243.

I have been hunting with 143gr ELD-X but am moving onto 120g GMX or Accubonds, for larger game like kudu following advice received from one of the more respected members of the forum.

My 143gr are running at 2720fps if memory serves me correctly.

EDIT: I have a heavy barrel in the 6.5CM, which will impact recoil. Std barrel might be different
    Last edited by Digby; 04-06-2019 at 15:53. Reason: Update

User

Note pblaauw's comment about a suppressor...

... then buy you boy a 308, put a sensible can on it, and shoot springbokkies and blesbokke as well as any 243/6.5, while giving him he option of using heavier bullets for larger stuff later.

A 243 really is not suitable for the willebeeste (just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be, especially by occasional hunters) and in that application I have my doubts even on the 6.5s

On the other hand, 150gr from a 308 is definitely sufficient for SWbees, and 180gr should do the trick on BWBees, given good bullets and shot placement.

In a modern, straight-stocked rifle with a good supressor, he young man should be able to comfortably handle a 308.

Banned

308 + suppressor, buy once only.

Banned

Between your two choices I would say the creedmoor. Recoil should not be a problem. My own experience with my son has taught me that ear protection was way more important than recoil. He was more sensitive to the bang than recoil. The other factor to look at is proper "stock fit".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    My own experience with my son has taught me that ear protection was way more important than recoil. He was more sensitive to the bang than recoil. The other factor to look at is proper "stock fit".
    Really very valuable advice, I should have offered it myself as its a thing I often state - it is so disregarded with woman and children, first shots especially. As per my post regarding Cody the shotgun, first shots with good ear protection and he was hooked.A suppressor also stops that vicious barrel jump which kids and ladies do not like. The bang is far more intimidating to the un -initiated than the recoil. I still say .308 though its a no where every where everything you wish caliber.
    Me thinks that if Dad does not get a .308 then we can assume dad has a 6.5 Creedmore itch and a son tha NEEDS a rifle

User

I was 16 years old when my dad bought my .243, still have it.

Love to hunt with it. Still hunt with it.

Its wind sensitive and have all the other shortcomings as is mentioned above.

Buy an .308 and with in reason and shooters skills shoot up to an Eland.

User

Think about it, they want to hunt something small for now, and when they grow up hunting bigger animals is on the cards.

So the little 6.5 is marginal for the blues, as stated by our seasoned professional, only suitable for perfects shots. The 308 can do everything, it can hunt the plains or the bush equally capable.

What a none jealous father then will do is split it in the middle, go and buy his son a 7x57. You can load it with 120grTTSX for now, and later for bigger animals 150gr TTSX or 170gr Bonded. The father will then just have to live with the fact that during a hunt his son will perhaps have a cooler rifle than him.

User

Bliksem Messor, who's this romantic posting under your name! Even I'll agree that the 7x57 is a cooler cartridge than the 308!

I find your suggestion inspiring, with only one problem: no romantic in his right mind should put a suppressor on a 7x57!

Analytically, 7x57, in a modern action, loaded to modern pressures can definitely do anything a 308 can.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast