Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor - Recoil

I am made of zeros and ones Pirate, that is my curse, for this son I only wish the best :)

What about a CZ LUX in 7x57, this little boy will have his grand children hunt with this rifle one day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I am made of zeros and ones Pirate, that is my curse, for this son I only wish the best :)

What about a CZ LUX in 7x57, this little boy will have his grand children hunt with this rifle one day.
    Cannot agree more I actually forgot how impressed I was with a friends 7x57 and what it did to a big Gemsbok.

And with a CZ you cannot go wrong.

User

A 243 or a 6.5 Creed is a good choice for a starter rifle on Springbuck/Blesbuck.However I would not consider a 100gr 6.5 bullet.If,and this seems to be the case,you want to take larger animals such as Wildebeest/Kudu and so on the 308 or 7x57 is great.
    My son started at 11years old with a 7x57 on such animals with a slightly downloaded 130gr bullet.He loved the caliber and i built him a 7mm08 for his 18th birthday. Shooting full house 150/160gr bullets proved a good combo on the bigger stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

No man Ds J, stop pretending to be Messor and posting under his name

I am a big fan of the 7x57, I have been hunting with one since 1989 and have successfully taken game up to eland with it. However, I believe that if you want to go bigger than a 6.5mm, the .308 win will be a better choice. There is very little difference in performance, on larger game animals, between a 6.5x55/Creedmoor and the 7x57.

Way off topic, and sorry for the further Hi-Jack. I would just like to echo Pirate and Messor's advice. On the hunting part I can't comment or give advice. But two years back my Lady friend's son and his friend both shot a Gong Shooting competition with a Nielsen Sonic suppressed 7 x 57. That was 30 rounds each. They were 7 at the time. They did very well even at the end. My Lady friend has a 308 also suppressed with NS. The kids are able to shoot with it but the problem lies with the stock configuration.

The thing is, this same rifle/calibre are going to be suitable for most applications required by the OP. Now, and much later.

So slightly off topic. When my grandbuddy went on his first hunt the issue was more the weight of the rifle and the length of pull. I bought a CZ550 6.5x55mm for them to hunt with. He really battled to get over the scope due to the long stock. I then bought shorter straight stock and fitted this which was better for the older grandbuddy but not the youngest. The youngest ended up practicing and then hunting with my mates Sako .243.

Fitting a suppressor to the muzzle for a little guy makes the barrel rather muzzle heavy. So if the little guy can lie prone with a bipod then it is a different matter to some degree.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Fitting a suppressor to the muzzle for a little guy makes the barrel rather muzzle heavy.
    Muzzle brake then, Gun Warrior sells one for R1350 I believe, and have seen them in action at the NRL shoots. Problem is a lot of farms these days are suppressor only, and you will need to buy good ear-protection for the little one.

User

So slightly off topic. When my grandbuddy went on his first hunt the issue was more the weight of the rifle and the length of pull. I bought a CZ550 6.5x55mm for them to hunt with. He really battled to get over the scope due to the long stock. I then bought shorter straight stock and fitted this which was better for the older grandbuddy but not the youngest. The youngest ended up practicing and then hunting with my mates Sako .243.

Fitting a suppressor to the muzzle for a little guy makes the barrel rather muzzle heavy. So if the little guy can lie prone with a bipod then it is a different matter to some degree.
    Andrew, a valid observation.

But thinking about such hunt, I think the person guiding the young one will make use of sticks regardless.
    If its of the modern tripod design all the young one needs to is practice standing and sitting with the sticks, the weight of the rifle then will become a plus wrt steadiness.

I mean you won't let someone hunt without making sure he can hit targets from field positions, hence the training with the specific weapon, and thus the handling of the weapon will be sorted before the hunt starts.

User

Andrew, wasn't there a recoil issue with the younger grand buddy as well?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast