Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor - Recoil

Thanks to all for the replys. Eventhough it went completely off the question.

There are big caliber guns in the safe for bigger game. I just don't have knowledge or experience with smaller calibers and there capabilities. For the requirement I have now I have narrowed it down to these 2 calibers. I just needed more info into their capabilities and mainly recoil.

My son is very small framed. He shot the 30-06 with suppressor and it was to much for him. So I want something with less recoil, but with as much "capabilities"/versatility as possible. Something he will be able to use the "longest" time for "more" shooting.

I don't want to spend R40k on a setup and then he only uses it for blesbuck shooting.

So I think the 6.5 CM it will be (as I can gather the recoil will be close to that of the 243). He can then use it for hunting as well as long range shooting if he wants to do that later in life.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Muzzle brake then, Gun Warrior sells one for R1350 I believe, and have seen them in action at the NRL shoots. Problem is a lot of farms these days are suppressor only, and you will need to buy good ear-protection for the little one.
    I won't let my child hunt with a muzzle brake, no way no how.
    But understand this will be a personal thing, sound plays as much a factor in hunting then anything else, the child needs to make use of all his senses during a hunt, that is what makes a hunter good. I also don't want him to have tinnitus like I have, so a good suppressor it will be.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shot View Post

So I think the 6.5 CM it will be (as I can gather the recoil will be close to that of the 243). He can then use it for hunting as well as long range shooting if he wants to do that later in life.
    Separate the two concepts, a hunting rifle just won't be a long range rifle, you are not going to fit the same stock nor scope to your hunting rifle than you would a long range shooter. Later in life he might want to build himself a rig, but a hunting rifle is designed for a specific purpose.

User

I went on my 1st (and only, for a VERY long time) hunt at 13, but being slender and light I was probably the size of 11-12y olds. Although I shot my father's rifles on the range, none of them was suitable so he borrowed his brother's 7x57 Musgrave for me (good old days of letters by the owner...)

I don't remember the size/length of the rifle being an issue at all (was bushveld somewhere, so the ph/guide did carry the rifle for me, and let me take dead rest over his shoulder!) but I distinctly remember that I had quite a flinch (these days I believe strongly it was due to the loud report, not the recoil). Regardless, the rooibok ewe fell with one shot, and became very nice biltong..

I known we waxed lirically about a classic rifle, fit for the kid's grandkids (and that speaks very strongly to my sentimental side, because that describes a my current bolt guns) but I really believe a modern budget gun in 308 (I've handled the Mauser M18 and I was VERY impressed...) fitted with a modern hunting-oriented suppressor (i.e. more expensive but not too big) is the answer here. Topped with a quality, budget scope (those terms are NOT mutually exclusive, the Nikon ProStaffs are excellent in that application, for instance) would make a very capable hunting rifle for a long while.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Separate the two concepts, a hunting rifle just won't be a long range rifle, you are not going to fit the same stock nor scope to your hunting rifle than you would a long range shooter. Later in life he might want to build himself a rig, but a hunting rifle is designed for a specific purpose.
    But Messor!! I'm going to be taking my PRS 6.5CM on a hunting trip in 3 weeks to shoot some Blesbokke! You're telling me it won't work?

I'm joking of course, I actually have to agree with you. My 3006 is set up very different to my 6.5CM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Andrew, wasn't there a recoil issue with the younger grand buddy as well?
    I believe so and he shot the .243 better as a result of all factors.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

But Messor!! I'm going to be taking my PRS 6.5CM on a hunting trip in 3 weeks to shoot some Blesbokke! You're telling me it won't work?
    It will work, but only if the Blesbokke are far away.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

As a parent with similar aged kids. I have a feeling you just want to get another rifle for yourself. I took the other route. I got them started on an air rifle. When they were competent and knew how to aim and hit a target with pin point accuracy, I took my 7x64 (suppressed) and loaded up some rounds with 30g of S365, and had them shoot a few. I then went up to 35g, then 40g. At that point they started to complain about the recoil. i then stuck to the 35g to practice with. I then took them out in the field with full power ammunition (53g) and my girls (9, and 11 years old) both shot a dassie, perfect head shot, and they didn't notice the recoil, All they wanted to know was whether the animal was dead.

So I think the reality is that kids can handle a medium calibre rifle quite easily, and that they grow up so fast, in few years he will be stronger than you. So if you want to buy your son a rifle, buy him something that he will use for the rest of his life. 270, 7x57, 6x64, 308, 30-06 are all good choices.

Banned

I see the 30 06 bandied about a few times here, keep in mind the 30 06 is considered the thresh hold for most average people, the pass over point to to much. The 30 06 is not a light recoiling rifle.

Banned

Muzzle brake then, Gun Warrior sells one for R1350 I believe, and have seen them in action at the NRL shoots. Problem is a lot of farms these days are suppressor only, and you will need to buy good ear-protection for the little one.
    Muzzle break - horrible dangerous inconsiderate harm full hated thing.They may have their place in some compo stuff - but any where else they just plain F'Up every one else's day and ruin your hearing and every one else's.
    I hate muzzle breaks and muzzle break users almost as much as smoking. Do not expose me to either of yours.
    Seriously not for children.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast