Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92FS

User

Default Beretta 92FS

Hi Guys.

I am still in the process of the competency cert. But I have my eyes on the Beretta 92FS. I know asking the question as to what is your preferred firearm is like what your bakkie of choice. lol
    I just want to hear from some of yous and your preferred firearms and why. I know there is a lot of choices out there I just want to be sure i get what I want first time around if I am lucky.
    If that is possible lol.

User

Default Re: Beretta 92FS

For what purpose?

My preferred gun for long range gongs is very different from an IDPS BUG preference

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

It will depend on the purpose of the firearm in question. I own a Glock 19 gen4. I like it because it is small and light enough to carry, but large enough for the shooting range. If you are looking for a carry gun, I would not recommend a Beretta 92 simply due to the size and bulk. It is not an easy gun to conceal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

User

Will be for range and carry. I am a big guy to say and like the feel. but this is why I am asking the question now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BbKing View Post
    Will be for range and carry. I am a big guy to say and like the feel. but this is why I am asking the question now.
    The size and weight of the FS92 is the reason why they are often left at home. It is also the reason why many of the hardcore EDCers have converted to "plastic" pistols. The weight of the pistols with a full mag is roughly 1100gram. The weight of a G19/5 with full mag is roughly 800grams.

For a smaller oke like myself the width of the B92 is troublesome.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BbKing View Post
    I am a big guy to say and like the feel
    I am 6'4" and well north of 100kgs. I would struggle to conceal it.

User

I spent 15 years in SAPS wearing one 24/7 and I agree to big for proper concealment.
    You will be sorry after a week or so then its to late.

Get an Glock or P07. Just my 10 cents after carrying an P07 for 6 years now and not looking back one day.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

If you want a Beretta look at the PX4 Compact. Other alternatives are the G19, M&Pc, P07.

I carried a full-size CZ85b for a decade. When I finally went to black plastic I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

When I was looking for my first pistol, my considerations were similar to yours. I had the choice between a Beretta 92 and CZ 75. I chose the CZ because it was slightly narrower, making concealment easier. They weighed about the same. I carried it every day and shot it as often as possible. Loved my pistol to bits.

Then the Glock 17 became available and I hated it. It was plastic, ugly and you could see right through it. Every self-respecting man knew that proper guns were made of steel, not plastic. That view stuck with me for a few years. I must admit to having been young and dumb at the time.

One Saturday afternoon a friend invited me to try his G17 on the range. He instructed me on how the trigger works and how to control it. A few dry fire cycles and I loaded it. I could not help to be impressed. That ugly thing shot very well.

The next week my favourite gunshop got a box of new Glocks in. They were the brand new "Gen 2" versions, and a few of them (G19) were smaller than usual. I could not decide between a G17 and G19. Eventually, I chose one with an easy to remember serial number, and it happened to be a G19. It was the smallest gun I could just barely get all my fingers on, with a mag inserted. The licenses were much quicker then, so within a few eeeks I had the magic sticker in my ID book. This ugly plastic pistol really amazed me, both in performance and in the comfort with which it could be carried. Concealment was somewhat easier too. Once I got confident in it's reliability I started carrying it and also used it for some competitive shooting. It shot just as well as any bigger heavier pistol would in my hands. What was noteworthy, was that I could get it back on target and fire another shot quite a bit faster than my CZ would. Placing 2 quick shots on a steel "popper" that was supposed to only fall over from a 230gn 45 bullet was a breeze.

So, it was not pretty, but the tupperware pistol certainly was cooking.

I still love the classic lines and feel of a Beretta 92. They are great. I just would never want to carry one concealed if I had a choice, and no, I'm not a small kid. Makes a decent range toy though.

For a first pistol, get one that fulfills the most important role properly, being an easy to conceal carry pistol. Range duty is secondary, and primarily there to get you fully acquainted with your pistol and learn (and maintain) the skills needed to defend your life if (when?) needed. With this in mind, I would choose between one of the compact Glocks, CZP10C, S&W M&P or similar pistol with plastic frame and without external safety levers. You want something you can point and click. Avoid anything with the name Taurus on it.

Even more important than choosing the correct pistol, would be attending a good defensive pistol course. That is time and money well spent, and will help you in guiding your decisions on guns and gear.

User

Hi!

I carried a Taurus PT92 FS for almost 20 years. About 3 years ago, I switched to a Glock 19. I have never looked back nor would I go back.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast