Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Buying 38 sp ammo with 357 mag license?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Please explain a little more?

A revolver headspaces on the rim of the case and it usually has a forcing cone to guide the bullet into the barrel. No trouble with excessive headspace or ill fitting cases.

A pistol usually headspaces on the mouth of the case and does not have a forcing cone. Using a much shorter cartridge in a pistol chamber can result in tumbling bullets or cracked cases.

What else?
    The 10mm Auto headspaces off the mouth of the case. .40 S&W is shorter, and as such headspaces off the extractor. My guess is that you're going to break the extractor.

User

Please explain a little more?

A revolver headspaces on the rim of the case and it usually has a forcing cone to guide the bullet into the barrel. No trouble with excessive headspace or ill fitting cases.

A pistol usually headspaces on the mouth of the case and does not have a forcing cone. Using a much shorter cartridge in a pistol chamber can result in tumbling bullets or cracked cases.

What else?
    I think you are confusing caliber with mechanics. Not all revolvers headspace like that, but some popular revolver calibers do.

Pistols do not have a forcing cone because the bullet is already in the barrel.

Tumbling bullets is not from shorter ammo, it is from smaller ammo (or larger barrels, whichever way you prefer)

I think you are cross referencing a lot of different things with each other . On the other hand, I am very ill with flu, so you may be making perfect sense. In which case, apologies in advance.

Banned

Oom Piet, I simply would like to know why one should avoid shooting shorter cartridges from longer chambers in pistols. Toxxyc's argument that the shorter cartridge will headspace against the extractor makes perfect sense. This can result in a broken extractor.

I was also wondering whether a .40 cartridge might disengage from the extractor and glide forward into the 10mm , effectively clogging the chamber; or something similar. My thought was that, if a revolver case can get stuck beneath the extractor, something similar can happen in a pistol as well.

Someone knowledgable usually chimes in when I have rambled on long enough

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

There was a time, and it might still happen from time to time that new gunshop assistants refuse to sell you 38 ammo of 357 license or .22 Short on .22 LR or 44 Special on .44 Magnum licenses etc. That just mean he is new. Tell him/her to ask the owner or more senior assistant/consultant. It is perfectly legal. No hassle.

User

Oom Piet, I simply would like to know why one should avoid shooting shorter cartridges from longer chambers in pistols. Toxxyc's argument that the shorter cartridge will headspace against the extractor makes perfect sense. This can result in a broken extractor.

I was also wondering whether a .40 cartridge might disengage from the extractor and glide forward into the 10mm , effectively clogging the chamber; or something similar. My thought was that, if a revolver case can get stuck beneath the extractor, something similar can happen in a pistol as well.

Someone knowledgable usually chimes in when I have rambled on long enough
    Lol, I hear you. As I said, I am not sure you rambled, or that I should be alowed to be on the internet in my current state. :) I am unsupervised.

Anywhay, before my wife realises I am on the forum typing, I will say that shooting shorter calibers in a pistol made for longer ones is quite possible, and in the overseas there are even lots of people doing it on purpose in between breeding with their siblings. They give reasons like cost savings, less recoil, bragging rights, family troubles (mom married sister, cousing stole the 10mm ammo, uncle stole the nice goat , etc) It headspaces against the extractor. The extractor can break, etching can happen in the chamber, other stuff, blablabla. It is a great idea if you live in a country where you can run to the mall and get more barrels or guns. We do not live in a place like that. If I find a G20 owner on the range shooting 40s through it, I am confiscating the goat.

User

I am confiscating the goat.[/QUOTE]

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I just don't have time now to search for it, but not long ago there was thread running on Gunsite regarding 9mm Short (.380 ACP) in 9mmP. Lot of reasons and opinions also there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I just don't have time now to search for it, but not long ago there was thread running on Gunsite regarding 9mm Short (.380 ACP) in 9mmP. Lot of reasons and opinions also there.
    Ja but, my thought would be that whereas a 38spl will work with a 357mag, a 9mmP will not work with a 9mm short. The case looks physically smaller in diameter to me

User

Slightly off topic... can i shoot 38 S&W in my 38 Special?

User

Quote Originally Posted by H5piet View Post
    Slightly off topic... can i shoot 38 S&W in my 38 Special?
    If they fit, I believe it should be safe to fire in a .38 Special. I tried commercial PMP .38 S&W ammo in in a .38 Special revolver and they all dropped in like normal .38 Special rounds. Old Milsurp ammo did not fit the .38 Sp cylinder. I suspect that PMP simply shortened .38Sp cases to manufacture the .38 S&W ammo.

I did not fire them, but they are low pressure rounds. Accuracy will probably suffer.

I must check my notes, but I also pulled some old SA Milsurp .38S&W ammo (124gr FMJ) and the bullets measured .355 or .356 IIRC, so quite undersized. I believe the spec is .360 dia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast