Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Zeiss Duralyt Scope

Wow Khumba, that is is a helleva review on the vx3 2.5-8x36. Choosing a scope for a particular caliber has just become a very intensive task. The 375 h&h is regarded by many as a good all round caliber in the hunting fraternity (from plains game to big game to dangerous game), hence my choice. Most of my hunting species list is springbok to eland and I am planning to include buffalo (when the opportunity presents itself) to the list. Hunting these species include bush veld and the occasional open plains. Judging from the species list shooting will be done from close range to long range (max 250m) once I have practiced enough on the range. Hunting times are from dawn to dusk. All these factors come into play with choosing a good quality scope. Where I am from the dealers are quite limited in terms of the availability of the wide range of scopes to checkout. You tell them what you want and they order it for you. Ideally one needs to physically see, feel and compare what is best suited. Because of this limitation one tends to research products on the net, forums and other media, this is where it gets even more confusing. Just like your wonderful review, TRG42 recommendations, Wesley's contribution of the Nikon and tons of other reviews of different brands of scopes out there, all mind boggling stuff, what to get??????

From all the researching that I have done, it seems that leupold is a definite favourite.

User

Hi, just thought i'd add my two cents.. The Zeiss Duralyt scope is being imported into S.A. in the place of the Conquest. The Conquest is still in production and is available from many U.S. shops as they are "assembled in the U.S.A.". I don't know why we aren't importing them anymore... I have read up intensively on the Zeiss Conquest, Duralyt and Leupold's VX3. The Zeiss followers believe that the Duralyt is inferior to carry the name of Zeiss. They say that it just doesn't cut the cheese. The reticule is also in the second plane which is good, but the quality of picture isn't as crisp as the competitors (and for the price). The conquest is an aging scope, introduced in 2003. The clarity of this scope is great compared to scopes of similar price. The light gathering quality of this scope is awesum. I have personally shot Bushpigs at 50m at night on a quarter moon without a light!! And this from a 40mm objective. The VX3 is brilliant scope, a real class act. It's miles ahead of the old VX III. It's light gathering is marginally inferior to the Conquest, and to my eye the clarity is the same. I have used both of these scopes intensively and own a VX3. If I were you, i'd opt for the VX3 in 3.5-10x40, or maybe even less magnification depending on the use of your .375. I'd also recomend the standard duplex reticle over the fine duplex reticle as it is mostly going to be used at under 200m, I assume... And damn, those Leupolds do look good!!

Do not believe everything you read on the web! The Conquest range of scopes in SA was viewed as a "grey" product and it was not serviced or imported by Carl Zeiss (SA). Duralyt is made in Europe and imported and serviced by Carl Zeiss, the official Zeiss agents in South Africa. Real Zeiss fundi's will tell you that the Duralyt is just another range in the Zeiss line-up of scopes that is manufactured in Germany, with the same Lotutec coatings and the same precision that they are known for. Leupold quality has apparently been slipping over the last few years. There has been reports of Leupold's with "astigmatism" etc. on other forums. Even the US snipers has changed back to Unertl scopes (European) and is not using Leopold anymore. Myself, I swear by Bushnell, Have been using them for more than 25 years on 4 different rifles (from 222 to 375 H&H) and not one has ever given me any problems!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2