Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Default Re: BC - SD - bullet weight a scientific answer.

Looking at shooting through the ages, the development of the shotgun is such that most of the effective loads (shot wise) had already been developed before the 20th century dawned. Propellant might have changed and improved but the old recipes are still there.

User

The new 6,5mm cartridges have a few things going for them. They have long range trajectories that compares favourably with bigger, harder-kicking and more expensive calibers. Most of this matters absolutely zero for the majority of fanboys, as they themselves don't have the skills to actually exploit these capabilities.

Bigger is still better, but it also requires the shooter to handle the increased recoil.

Of all the 6,5mm's, the new Creedmoor is popular bacause it is a well balanced package that fits in a short (308-length) action and magazine. The ballistically identical 260 Rem requires a slightly longer mag to accomodate the popular 140gn bullets loaded to sensible lengths. The target won't be able to tell which one it was.

Banned

Part one page nine - I note that a perfectly stable usable normal bullet usually used at 55 deg F - will be unstable at 0 DegF (bout - 18 Cel)

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Part one page nine - I note that a perfectly stable usable normal bullet usually used at 55 deg F - will be unstable at 0 DegF (bout - 18 Cel)
    That's just one example, not a rule.

Over-stabilization has is merits, the above scenario being one example. Not that many S Africans are likely to hunt is such crappy weather.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    That's just one example, not a rule.

Over-stabilization has is merits, the above scenario being one example. Not that many S Africans are likely to hunt is such crappy weather.
    AR - I was just amazed, at the statement - I thought that the army and international hunters, would have to specifically load for extremes got me thinking army supplies etc, and why I never knew about things like this. I was so intrigued I started a thread on subject only to learn I was not reading it right and using extreme example as literally. I will later go do the whole Sg test on the calculator and see for myself as prompted by Messor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3