Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Glock 19 vs 17 vs 34 for Teen starting up Sport Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    In SADPA they can shoot BUG as well with something smaller if that suits them? Like a 43 or 48. (Have not checked if 48 might fit BUG?) Pain to reload so much though.

That said, my 11 year old son shoots the best with a Glock 19 Gen 4 without any backstraps between a G19 Gen 4, G26 Gen 3 and G43. He struggles with limp wristing with the G43. The 26 is a lot better already. Just meaning to say that smaller for small hands is not always better.
    Glock 19,17 and 34 is being discussed. Nothing else.
    I have these guns on hand already . I am not buying anything new .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    While the 17 and 19 are logically more versatile, my kids shoot the G34 better and like it more.

It is not a carry gun, so the primary purpose would dictate which one it should be. However, having a gun you like to shoot does also count a few points in my book, especially for a first gun.
    I can agree with this. For a youngster, try to maximise the on-range experience (the joy of shooting) rather than the scoreboard afterwards. This is better approximated by overall placement than by placement within the division. The easier they can hit what they're aiming at, the more fun they will have. The more fun they have, the more likely it will grow into a life long passion.

There are worse things than competing in Standard Minor. I've had great fun doing it while I had a perfectly good Production Shadow in the safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I would suggest a G17. Will work for IPSC and IDPA giving it better legs in the long term. They're really not losing anything material with a 17 to a 34 in IDPA, but keeps them from having to shoot standard minor in IPSC.
    I've seen this mentioned on a number of occasions i.e.: that opting for the 34 in Standard division is not optimal.

Are there any exclusions to this; especially if one is not looking for a handgun that could potentially do duty as an EDC?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    I've seen this mentioned on a number of occasions i.e.: that opting for the 34 in Standard division is not optimal.

Are there any exclusions to this; especially if one is not looking for a handgun that could potentially do duty as an EDC?
    Standard division allows for major scoring.

A G34 doesn’t. You will have an uphill battle shooting minor in Standard

The exclusion would pretty much be you don’t care about winning.

ps yes I know minor can win in standard. But it’s not the norm or even much more than a man bites dog occasion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    They play with many guns and they shoot reasonably well for plinkers. It is time now for them to shoot without me and under proper rules of the game and with others. I just want to to ascertain which of the 3 Glocks will be the best option for them for sport use.
    If I read correctly it appears that the 34 is edged out to 3rd place. It appears to be a tussle between the 17 and 19 FOR SPORTING PURPOSES. ( specific to the discussion in this thread).
    I own the G17, G19 and G26 and am an active IDPA sport shooter. Having competed with all of them, I would recommend the G19.

My reasons for the above recommendation:—

1) the G19 would permit the boys to compete in the CCP, SSP and ESP divisions in IDPA;
    2) this is a really good and versatile pistol to learn to shoot;
    3) it carries well and, once the fundamentals have been mastered, can be shot really accurately; and
    4) it is a great gun for EDC purposes too (and is fairly easily concealed), whereas the G17 is larger and therefore more difficult to conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

From some personal experience, I would stick with a 19 or 17. The 34 is fun to shoot, but it is limiting in terms of divisions, as mentioned. I used to run a 19 in Standard Minor, and it sucked having to try keep up and being screwed by the scoring.

A 17 is bigger, but not impossible to conceal, and easier to shoot flatter and faster. A 19 is the most popular handgun for a reason, it will take a lot of effort to really get to a level where one can say that you have reached a level where the gun is holding you back. If really serious about the sport, get a 17, of not, a 19 will be a good all rounder choice.

Edit - Sorry, I re-read the thread and missed your comment on -for now sport only, edc guns later etc- when read first time round. Unless for some reason they can manage to shoot a 19 better, I will push for shooting the 17's all day every day !

User

Can I just say that your son and nephews are very lucky to have you. Way to Go man!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3