Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Soft, CAT or RAT?

The SAM XT has been added to the COTCCC's list of approved tourniquets.

I have a Soft-T myself due to the metal buckle as recommended by Rob McCallum. But also have a CAT7. Ewerhard Brits from Meddev full heartedly recommends them all. I asked how long the velcro on my CAT7 wil last if I practiced with it and he said several thousand applications.

Meddev is my one stop place for all medical trauma needs.

And I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I've just had exceptional service from them every time I shopped there.

Side note: if you don't want Combat Gauze (but you really should) Hailstorm also has Celox on their site last time I checked.

I'm hoping I get a nice commission from all the plugs I'm handing out LOL.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    CAT Gen 7 and SOFT are great tourniquets. I prefer the CAT Gen 7.
    Stay away from the RAT and knockoff CATs like "rotation compression tourniquets".
    SWAT-T tourniquet is nice to use as a pressure bandage with some gauze, not so much as a tq.

Meddev and Cerberus Tactical Outfitters are great for med gear.
    This - our family kits and training, CAT Gen 7 from one of these suppliers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    Meddev is my one stop place for all medical trauma needs.
    Ha! The stars align!

I stumbled across their site last night and have been building up a list of items that I'd like to incorporate into
    1) an ifak
    2) a general range medkit

Good to hear that you've had positive interactions with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Ha! The stars align!

I stumbled across their site last night and have been building up a list of items that I'd like to incorporate into
    1) an ifak
    2) a general range medkit

Good to hear that you've had positive interactions with them.
    Absolutely. Shop with confidence.

User

Meddev is the best one stop shop!

Alternative shops are Immediate Action Medical, Tactical Quarter Master, Cerebus Tactical Outfitters, Wild Medix, Crisis Bleed.

Watching Prep Medic and Skinny Medics videos are highly informative, but if you haven't already, attend a Stop The Bleed course and take your family with and encourage friends to go as well, as then you can actually play around with all the equipment. Most people have the notion that it is only for firearm carriers, it covers loads of injuries which can occur through MVA's, household/construction/power tool injuries and one of the more commons injuries is falling through glass.

Mentioning Wild Medix reminds me how much I want to attend their courses so they would be a good option too.

The wilderness first responder and winter survival courses look awesome.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Meddev is the best one stop shop!

... attend a Stop The Bleed course ...
    This is on my list of things to-do.

There was a shoot-out outside of our complex a couple months which is what sparked my interest in getting a med kit.

The incident made me realise very quickly - and very abruptly - just how unprepared I am for dealing with a medical emergency; specifically as it relates to GSW's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    Mentioning Wild Medix reminds me how much I want to attend their courses so they would be a good option too.

The wilderness first responder and winter survival courses look awesome.

Their training is worth every cent.

User

I can second Walt and his trainers from Wild Medix, if you're in the Cape!! I've done Stop the Bleed twice with them and the second time was through a combined course with Arno from Kembativ Concepts who integrated fighting while injured and a bit of combatives into the course which made things interesting.

Something interesting, go and apply a tourniquet how you would in real life in terms of tightness and attempt to reload and shoot at a target, it was an eye opener! You can even forgo the last part, but just apply the tourniquet to yourself so that you know what it feels like and you can see how it restricts your movement, it doesn't cause any temporary or permanent damage when applying a TCCC registered one.

User

Took a break from the PC screen and attended Stop the Bleed yesterday. It is an extremely insight course that presents the nitty-gritty of stopping bleeds.

I've spent a lot of time watching training vids etc which I think helped with understanding some of the concepts a bit better; but nothing beats an in-person session with someone who's hands-on and has the years of experience to back things up.

I'm also glad that I did this before buying anything. One of my main take-aways is the inclusion of a SWAT-T because of my little ones.

I liked the SOF-T but I'm still partial to the CAT. Will probably sleep on it for another day or two before spending coin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast