Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Gert, Messor, Treeman, et al, you can rejoice!! (please open with a sense of humor)

You chaps can listen to Messor..whatever.
    I will sit at that fire where ballistic print outs are bandied around and brandy fuelled favourite calibers are discussed as well as opiniated trashing of calibers unused by the trasher are sworn at.
    I will say nothing,no need to. The next morning i will just quietly wander off on my own with either the Creed or the Swede,matters not,and go get my venison.

User

Default Re: Gert, Messor, Treeman, et al, you can rejoice!! (please open with a sense of humor)

All I can say is I have hunted since I was 17 years old and I only own two hunting rifles a .243 and a .303 and both when used for what they was intended in the hunting field have never let me down.

Have I stuffed up yes 3 time and only one time I did not get my buck.

Was it the guns fault no.

I do agree with Messor hunting terminal ballistics and punching paper is worlds apart.

Learn your rifles trajectory use enough bullet and place it in the vitals under field conditions.

Can I shoot those scores No, can I down a buck under field conditions with in my and my rifles ability Yes.

The old proven calibers will stay in the hunting field because they have proven them self.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    You chaps can listen to Messor..whatever.
    I will sit at that fire where ballistic print outs are bandied around and brandy fuelled favourite calibers are discussed as well as opiniated trashing of calibers unused by the trasher are sworn at.
    I will say nothing,no need to. The next morning i will just quietly wander off on my own with either the Creed or the Swede,matters not,and go get my venison.
    Pre - you swear at me when I moan about your Nokia 5210 you use, how you going to hit anything with out the App on your phone ?

User

You saying you will sit at such a fire, and then quietly walk off on your own and go hunt on your own?
    Ignoring all the safety rules of knowing exactly where the other hunters are in camp, not having them snipe at you from a KM thinking you are a baboon or something?

You 6.5 owners are terribly poor at firearms safety, probably because of all those BC's(before common sense).

User

I will tell you what boggles the little bit of brain i have.
    Long range paper punching has a very different set of requirements to hunting,rifle wise,scope wise and bullet wise.
    Now,the 6.5x55 Swede was,is and will continue to be a fine hunting caliber.Many old calibers have faded away due to various reasons,marketing,unsuitable bullets ect ect.
    Sometimes sanity prevails which sees a sudden resurgence in popularity,the Sweed being one of them.
    Now along comes the 6.5 Creed with all its hypothetical long range capabilities and coupled with bullet design and 'custom' off the shelf long range rifles,scopes and ballistic apps,this has proved to be fact.The problem is the overflow of using these set ups for long range shooting at animals.....that is not hunting nor is it using the Creed to within its design parameters......But....please....explain to me how does that make the Creed unsuitable for hunting.
    Take the 3006 [designed to kill people],make a sporting rifle,use appropriate bullets,use at hunting distances and it is fantastic.
    Take a 6.5 Creed [designed with long range accuracy in mind],make a sporting rifle,use appropriate bullets,use at hunting distances and it is fantastic.
    To trash a caliber based on some peoples miss-use of it makes no sense.

User

Your post #24 Messor.....REALLY?

User

Your post #24 Messor.....REALLY?
    You know this is a satirical thread, right, even one the OP laughs at?

Are you too buthurt by all the bantering of your favorite cals you cannot see it?

User

Messor,not butt hurt at all. Unfortunately,the Creed is being used for long range 'hunting' and/or with incorrect bullets and many a true word is spoken in jest. I have been around a couple of hunting blocks and have seen enough not to become upset about someones caliber opinion.
    Hell,even if you took away all my rifles and gave me a 270 i would be happy.
    All good from my side.

Banned

Jokes aside, (it is so fun knocking the 6.5 guys they just react so entertainingly)- Pre 64, what have you not hunted with that 6.5, I know of w/beest eland kudu, sable, warthog, bush pig, Impala, springbuck, blesbuck, zebra, fallow deer, what else. I have seen you shoot a spring buck in the air in the head(there are a few people who saw that(Grahams wounded buck)), the springbuck that kept walking never closer than a tongue in cheek km away - f'kin far. The Eland shot with 375 on shoulder, (old post bullet failure) the 6.5 took it down. How many firsts are attached to that 6.5 in compo's - that bloke with the 100 k rifle mechanical stock and all lost first to the 6.5 -------------------------- all with out the apps on your phone. It a pretty impressive kak caliber after all is said and done poor BC and what not. Imagine what you could have achieved if you had had a proper hunting rifle - .270 Win perhaps ?

User

I know a guy that shot all those things with a .222

And it's here that the water gets muddy, I don't for one second doubt the experience and skill of Pre and T-stone.
    One uses 140gr Partitions and the other 120gr monolithics.

My worry is that people see their success without having full knowledge of the subject, and believe these people's success is linked to the cartridge.
    I too read between the lines, and all the combos people talk about on forums is 6.5 with some target bullet, the people believing that the SD will make the target bullet an uber killer.

If you guys are to be the face of hunting make sure you get the message across correctly to others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast