Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: 300 Blackout? where ? how much? and any good?

What is a bit troublesome for me in the whole scenario is the pigs mentioned. In those areas and in Macadamias the bushpigs grow seriously huge. To put down a bushpig with a 300 BLK shot placement would be critical. With sub sonic loads even more so but still easier than with the current .22

For pigs and subsonic, heavy and slow is the answer. (.458 WM or 45/70 at subsonic velocities with 400 gr bullets from a silenced rifle.) For the other vermin out to 150 m the heavy and slow give a not so ideal trajectory.

Still think sort out the neighbours...

User

Is there a way to scare the vermin from your farm so that they raid his crops for a while? Let them suffer a bit and then see if the are more inclined to pest control?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    It's half of the mac and cheese equation.
    I initially thought it's direct supply (at least of the "big" ones) to the Goldern Arches...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    What is a bit troublesome for me in the whole scenario is the pigs mentioned. In those areas and in Macadamias the bushpigs grow seriously huge. To put down a bushpig with a 300 BLK shot placement would be critical. With sub sonic loads even more so but still easier than with the current .22

For pigs and subsonic, heavy and slow is the answer. (.458 WM or 45/70 at subsonic velocities with 400 gr bullets from a silenced rifle.) For the other vermin out to 150 m the heavy and slow give a not so ideal trajectory.

Peregrine makes an expanding .308 caliber bullet specifically for subsonic applications

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Peregrine makes an expanding .308 caliber bullet specifically for subsonic applications
    Peregrine have in fact developed subsonic loads with this bullet for 300 BLK bolt action using Hodgdon CFE Pistol.

If you contact them, they will provide the load data.

It's one nasty-looking projectile, once deployed.

User

i would live to but, most of the people that complain dont do any farming.

User

i have had some guys come and shoot at night with NV some of the pigs they got weighed 70+ kgs after slaughter

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Beastie boy, you may just get away with those two extremes in bullet weight if the rifle has a twist heavily in favor of the 220gr bullet. The subsonic bullet needs the faster side extreme of a given twist or all kinda "huh ? " begins to happen. The light bullet will be happy in the over spin barrel if not pushed to hard. Just one question though how you going use that thing with 220 gr bullet at subsonic for work type hunting, not fun an games stalk all day stuff ?. The trajectory will be worse than a 45 ACP, that + vermin on month two of getting shot at become a task even with 200 m capable weapons.
    Most 300blk barrel will have a twist between 1-7 / 1-8 ... plenty fast enough to stabilize the heavies. There are even some manufacturers of pretty short barrel guns (i.e. Honey Badger, not the original concept but the current one) with 1-5 twist barrels.

I have shot case 230gr bullets out my 10.3in 1-7 no issues. It was of course designed from the 300 Whisper which was primarily desiged as a subsonic round.

User

This made me think of the 458 Socom. also have an interesting range of usable bullet weights. Only seen them in the AR15 iteration.
    250gn bullet at 2100fps
    600gn bullet at 1000fps most critters would notice that

Not going to be a cheap solution!

User

Has Pre-64 sold his 458-2" yet? That would be excellent subsonic pig medicine. A big cast lead flat nose bullet at 1000fps is sure to spoil a bushpig's day (or night) while still not wasting any meat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast