Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Age
    54
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Kudu cow.jpg
    Camo, without good camo it's going to be tough. Just kidding, similar circumstances to yours, thick thorn stuff, got lucky at midday, no path, no water nearby, just happened.
    Probably the animal was perplexed by the jeans and the camo cap.
    Enjoy.

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,206

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Yeah honestly I'm not a big camo believer. I've shot more in a striped jersey and jeans with my running shoes than with browns and boots with a khaki jacket. I have camo cap though. And gloves. Also got camo gloves, so there's that.

    :P

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North West
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,151

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah honestly I'm not a big camo believer. I've shot more in a striped jersey and jeans with my running shoes than with browns and boots with a khaki jacket. I have camo cap though. And gloves. Also got camo gloves, so there's that.

    :P
    I've shot more in a striped jersey. Game thinks you are a Zebra

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    port elizabeth
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,214

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Blue jeans? then you look like a zebra standing in a water hole. The Kudu will walk right up to you.

  5. #25
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Age
    27
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Toxxyc, I hunted my first Kudu last year in namibia. Also mostly used to smallish game. But to me at the end of the day it all comes down to the basics. You focus on that and getting a clean shot to put the outjie down cleanly and "humanely", then the rest falls into place.

  6. #26
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,206

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Quote Originally Posted by th3wall27 View Post
    Toxxyc, I hunted my first Kudu last year in namibia. Also mostly used to smallish game. But to me at the end of the day it all comes down to the basics. You focus on that and getting a clean shot to put the outjie down cleanly and "humanely", then the rest falls into place.
    Yeah this is all I'm focusing on. Kudu has a large killzone, and I know if I knock her in the right place, she will go down. Rifle is capable. I am capable.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Age
    27
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah this is all I'm focusing on. Kudu has a large killzone, and I know if I knock her in the right place, she will go down. Rifle is capable. I am capable.
    Enjoy it man!

  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    48
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

    Toxxyc, you said:
    - You are confident with your rifle
    - You know where the killzone is and you know that the killzone is bigger than the animals you normally hunt
    - You will feel no pressure to shoot from a guide or due to trying to fill orders
    - There will be other opportunities if it does not happen on your upcoming hunt

    Sounds like all is in order. Perhaps you have placed kudu on a bit of a pedestal for whatever reason. Perhaps because of their beauty, their elusive reputation and because you have never shot one before. I think this is perfectly normal. I haven't shot a new species in a while but I always felt some extra excitement when hunting an animal I had never shot before.

    Enjoy the excitement and embrace it. When it comes to taking the shot, the kudu deserves the same level of diligence and application that you apply to any other animal you hunt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •