Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Hunting kudu: I need help/hints/tips

Kudu cow.jpg
    Camo, without good camo it's going to be tough. Just kidding, similar circumstances to yours, thick thorn stuff, got lucky at midday, no path, no water nearby, just happened.
    Probably the animal was perplexed by the jeans and the camo cap.
    Enjoy.

User

Yeah honestly I'm not a big camo believer. I've shot more in a striped jersey and jeans with my running shoes than with browns and boots with a khaki jacket. I have camo cap though. And gloves. Also got camo gloves, so there's that.

:P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah honestly I'm not a big camo believer. I've shot more in a striped jersey and jeans with my running shoes than with browns and boots with a khaki jacket. I have camo cap though. And gloves. Also got camo gloves, so there's that.

:P
    I've shot more in a striped jersey. Game thinks you are a Zebra

User

Blue jeans? then you look like a zebra standing in a water hole. The Kudu will walk right up to you.

User

Toxxyc, I hunted my first Kudu last year in namibia. Also mostly used to smallish game. But to me at the end of the day it all comes down to the basics. You focus on that and getting a clean shot to put the outjie down cleanly and "humanely", then the rest falls into place.

User

Quote Originally Posted by th3wall27 View Post
    Toxxyc, I hunted my first Kudu last year in namibia. Also mostly used to smallish game. But to me at the end of the day it all comes down to the basics. You focus on that and getting a clean shot to put the outjie down cleanly and "humanely", then the rest falls into place.
    Yeah this is all I'm focusing on. Kudu has a large killzone, and I know if I knock her in the right place, she will go down. Rifle is capable. I am capable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah this is all I'm focusing on. Kudu has a large killzone, and I know if I knock her in the right place, she will go down. Rifle is capable. I am capable.
    Enjoy it man!

User

Toxxyc, you said:
    - You are confident with your rifle
    - You know where the killzone is and you know that the killzone is bigger than the animals you normally hunt
    - You will feel no pressure to shoot from a guide or due to trying to fill orders
    - There will be other opportunities if it does not happen on your upcoming hunt

Sounds like all is in order. Perhaps you have placed kudu on a bit of a pedestal for whatever reason. Perhaps because of their beauty, their elusive reputation and because you have never shot one before. I think this is perfectly normal. I haven't shot a new species in a while but I always felt some extra excitement when hunting an animal I had never shot before.

Enjoy the excitement and embrace it. When it comes to taking the shot, the kudu deserves the same level of diligence and application that you apply to any other animal you hunt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3