User

Default Howa short action scope mounts?

I've ordered a Howa short action rifle in 204 and am currently looking at options for scope mounts for a Swarovsky z3 4-12x50mm 1' tube. What can you recommend? and what should I avoid.... I ask this because I have been unhappy with the 2 piece mounts on my other rifle, and realise that some are simply stronger and more reliable than others, especially considering the "bakkie rides" that our rifles have to endure when they are "working".

User

Default Re: Howa short action scope mounts?

I prefer picatinny rails above two piece mounts. Lot easier to mount scope properly, easier to adjust and can swop scopes between rifles without hassle.

I would avoid Warne verticle split rings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Thor engineering rings and bases should be plenty strong enough and not ridiculously expensive.. Used them for a while on my 3006 without issue.

User

The 204 doesn't recoil a lot. Pretty much any rings and bases, including aluminum parts, should do just fine. For ease of use though, I'd go with a Picatinny rail.

User

I've opted for the two piece Picantini mounts that were available off the shelf. The short action is plenty rigid not to require one piece mounts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Thor engineering make rails for Howa short and mini action, incl 20 moa.

User

You can also look at Warne one piece picatinny rail. You get it in 0 and 20 moa and steel or aluminum. I bought a 20 Moa steel rail for my Howa 308

Bonedoc why would you avoid the warne rings?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    I prefer picatinny rails above two piece mounts. Lot easier to mount scope properly, easier to adjust and can swop scopes between rifles without hassle.

I would avoid Warne verticle split rings.

Is there a reason why you would avoid the Warne verticale split rings? A friend of mine has them on 2 of his Howa rifles with a Picatinny and is very happy with them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Is there a reason why you would avoid the Warne verticale split rings? A friend of mine has them on 2 of his Howa rifles with a Picatinny and is very happy with them.
    The tactical rings are fine, the other rings have a loose recoil key that I seem to drop the whole time when mounting the rings. They have top and bottom screws-top hold the scope in place while bottom holds the scope plus attaches rings to the rail. All other rings have separate screws holding scope and mounting rings to rail, makes it a lot easier to move scope if necessary.