Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default From pillar to post with uncertainty

Hi everyone

I'm am new to this site and I am hoping someone can answer me please! I have a competency that was issued from saps in September 2012, I would like to apply for a SD license. I have been given the run around and I'm just looking for the correct channels to follow so I can acquire my license. I have been at 5 different training academies and all of them are giving me a total different story as to what I am supposed to do hence why I am here now. Training academy A said: just go to your local dfo and renew your competency once you receive your latest competency then we can start the process. Training academy B said: you have to redo the entire training as your certificates were issues in 2011 under SASSETA and they are no longer valid they have been taken over from someone else. Training academy C said: just come with X amount of money and we will get you sorted( I personally dont trust these snakes). So now I'm at a point where I am not sure as I have been ripped off on more then one occasion(more then 5 even) i have been battling for 7 years on and off to get myself sorted but no joy. What I would like to know is what is the actual law regarding this which training academies advice do I take? I have 2 training certificates plus a competency in my possession do I need to start the entire process from over or do I just renew my competency? I have 1 certificate stating " successful completion of the theoretical knowledge test and practical assessment relating to SAQA Unit Standard 119649 Handle & use a Handgun" there is no expiration date on this particular certificate but it was issues a while ago(2011). Then I have another certificate stating" for successful completion of knowledge of the firearms control act 60 of 2000 SAQA Unit Standard 117705(expiry date 2016) so now I have no clue where to from here as I am tired of being cheated out of thousands of rands and still sit with absolutely nothing till today. I just need to know do I only renew my competency at my local police station or do I actually have to go for the complete training from scratch again? I dont mind going through the process again I just dont want to be scammed AGAIN! I understand that the firearms act has changed numerous times but someone has to know a way forward from here. I have been advised by one of the academies to go back to where I got the certification and ask them for a statement of results and then I wont need to do the entire process again. Please help and advise what is the correct way going forward? Please and thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: From pillar to post with uncertainty

Hi. I also got a few different answers regarding my competency that went past its 5 and 10 year period.
    In the end, a lady at Lyttelton SAPS told me - competency is valid for 10 years, or your last valid gun license.. whichever is applicable.
    It might be a good idea to go to your SAPS, and make sure how they see it. They are the ones that need to accept your license application.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Rex View Post
    Hi. I also got a few different answers regarding my competency that went past its 5 and 10 year period.
    In the end, a lady at Lyttelton SAPS told me - competency is valid for 10 years, or your last valid gun license.. whichever is applicable.
    It might be a good idea to go to your SAPS, and make sure how they see it. They are the ones that need to accept your license application.
    Hi thank you for your response. I received the same information from a former DFO his words to me was get your hole application in order and submit they shouldn't give you any hassles maybe I should try this first if it doesnt work then I'll have to start from scratch

Take training certificates, letters from 3/4 friends/family. with 2 certified copies of your ID, proof of address to your local DFO. You should be able to renew your competency.

I am not sure if your DFO will accept the training certificate that expired in 2016 but the training certificates dont generally expire. IF the DFO doesnt accept the paperwork you will then only need to redo module 117705 (LAW) and then apply for competency

Quote Originally Posted by coolman10177 View Post
    Take training certificates, letters from 3/4 friends/family. with 2 certified copies of your ID, proof of address to your local DFO. You should be able to renew your competency.

I am not sure if your DFO will accept the training certificate that expired in 2016 but the training certificates dont generally expire. IF the DFO doesnt accept the paperwork you will then only need to redo module 117705 (LAW) and then apply for competency
    Thank you for your response. This is the kind of information that doesnt leave one helpless thanks alot!

User

Quote Originally Posted by selwyns1000rr View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm am new to this site and I am hoping someone can answer me please! I have a competency that was issued from saps in September 2012, I would like to apply for a SD license. I have been given the run around and I'm just looking for the correct channels to follow so I can acquire my license. I have been at 5 different training academies and all of them are giving me a total different story as to what I am supposed to do hence why I am here now. Training academy A said: just go to your local dfo and renew your competency once you receive your latest competency then we can start the process. Training academy B said: you have to redo the entire training as your certificates were issues in 2011 under SASSETA and they are no longer valid they have been taken over from someone else. Training academy C said: just come with X amount of money and we will get you sorted( I personally dont trust these snakes). So now I'm at a point where I am not sure as I have been ripped off on more then one occasion(more then 5 even) i have been battling for 7 years on and off to get myself sorted but no joy. What I would like to know is what is the actual law regarding this which training academies advice do I take? I have 2 training certificates plus a competency in my possession do I need to start the entire process from over or do I just renew my competency? I have 1 certificate stating " successful completion of the theoretical knowledge test and practical assessment relating to SAQA Unit Standard 119649 Handle & use a Handgun" there is no expiration date on this particular certificate but it was issues a while ago(2011). Then I have another certificate stating" for successful completion of knowledge of the firearms control act 60 of 2000 SAQA Unit Standard 117705(expiry date 2016) so now I have no clue where to from here as I am tired of being cheated out of thousands of rands and still sit with absolutely nothing till today. I just need to know do I only renew my competency at my local police station or do I actually have to go for the complete training from scratch again? I dont mind going through the process again I just dont want to be scammed AGAIN! I understand that the firearms act has changed numerous times but someone has to know a way forward from here. I have been advised by one of the academies to go back to where I got the certification and ask them for a statement of results and then I wont need to do the entire process again. Please help and advise what is the correct way going forward? Please and thank you in advance

Sjoe. This is really long and confusing post:

As I understand it, you did your proficiency training approx 8 years ago, applied for competency and received it approx 7 years ago.

The next step after this is usually to buy a gun and apply for a license (which you are planning to do now, but not yet "pulled the trigger" on this step).

Your question then basically boils down to: "What now?"

If you bought and licensed a handgun for self defense back in 2012 when you got your competency, the license would have been valid for 5 years and you would have had to renew it already by this time (as well as your competency).

I am not sure from your post where you got ripped off, but I think your frustration probably stems from lack of action on your part.

Redo your proficiency (most of the questions that you have will also be answered in those materials), re-apply for your competency, and immediately buy a handgun (or put down deposit and start paying off) so you are inspired to apply for your license as soon as your competency is issued/renewed. (and after you get your license, go for some good solid training)

User

...and seeing that this is your introductory post, welcome to GunSite.

User

Welcome

User

Welcome

User

Quote Originally Posted by selwyns1000rr View Post
    I have a competency that was issued from saps in September 2012, I would like to apply for a SD license.
    Hi and welcome.

That sentence should be the only relevant bit. You have a competency certificate issued by the SAPS. Due to the incompetent law called the FCA, it is not clear how long this is valid for, but best case it is 10 years. Thus it is still valid since you have never licensed a firearm against this competency. No need to renew anything or redo any training. Just buy a firearm, and hand in your license application with all the required documents at your local DFO. You will then have to renew your competency before you renew that application in 5 years time (assuming S13 license).

Good luck, unfortunately simple things are never as simple as they should be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast