Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Catastrophic hunt - Need some advice.

You do get better with practice. You learn to judge distance better, you learn to shoot better under stress, you learn to quicker get on target and to shoot more accurately with trigger discipline. You also learn your weapon's trajectory a lot better.

Do a test. Next time you're on the range and you have some time, shoot a few rounds at a 100m target with your pistol, from the bench. Take the first shot and see where it lands. See how far you are actually out. Next time you won't make that mistake - you lift the muzzle more. That's called practice, and doing it enough will make you "perfect".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You do get better with practice. You learn to judge distance better, you learn to shoot better under stress, you learn to quicker get on target and to shoot more accurately with trigger discipline. You also learn your weapon's trajectory a lot better.

Do a test. Next time you're on the range and you have some time, shoot a few rounds at a 100m target with your pistol, from the bench. Take the first shot and see where it lands. See how far you are actually out. Next time you won't make that mistake - you lift the muzzle more. That's called practice, and doing it enough will make you "perfect".
    Thats why Jerry Miculek can shoot a 1000yard plate with a revolver on the second shot!

User

Running animals takes a lot of practice and continual in field shooting. Its a totally different ball game. I wouldnt knock yourself over that. Shooting a springbuck in the neck at 500m takes skill and a LOT of luck even with a very well tuned 22-250. I know i run 22-250's and they work hard. We culled 50 Blesbok yesterday. It was a cull for friends (not my farm not my friends). Things can turn south very quickly for folks that are not doing this regularly. One has to learn but also remember ones capabilities and grow them with time.

Lastly confidence can play a big part. Start off bad and one doubts themselves the whole hunt. Pull off a good shot and one shoots better. Human nature.

A bloke told me of his uncle that was a superb shot. He took a shot at a running Kudu bull circa 400 yards away, no apparent hit. He took another shot and the bull refused to fall, the third shot did the trick and the bull came to a grinding halt. On approaching the bull they noticed three shots on the shoulder, the group was 1".

Dunno what you boys are complaining about.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Thats why Jerry Miculek can shoot a 1000yard plate with a revolver on the second shot!
    He can do that cause his father was a gunner who put shots to his mother, the target of his affection, the shots were true, the target was found Jerry was ejected.

User

What a great thread with great discussions and advice.

I had to smile when I thought of a recent trip i went on with semi-professional springbok cullers, They decided to help a farmer out in the kalahari, and for the first day they couldn't understand why they had a few more shoulder and neck shots than usual (they always go for the head or the butcher won't take them)l. Turned out the Kalahari springbok are a lot bigger than the Karoo bokke, and they realised that their "in the scope" distance measurements had to be recalibrated for the bigger springbok.

User

For ranging take a look at Zeiss's Rapid Z line of scopes. I put one on a Tikka 6.5 heavy barrel. They have ranging marks similar to mildots but quicker to use. I hunt whitetail deer. All you do it line up a marks on the animals shoulder and belly, count the marks. These deer are on average 18 inches. You can also use the shoulder height but it isn't as quick to divide the numbers but it would be maybe a little more accurate. If there are 6 marks the animal is 300 yards away. If there are 3 marks it would be 600 yards away. The scope is adjusted for bullet drop and has corresponding range marks. They have one with 600, 800 or 1000 yards.
    Really all you have to do is know the average height of the animal you are hunting; either shoulder to belly or shoulder to feet.
    You can find charts like this to get you started.
    https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-c...omparison1.jpg

User

When shooting from a bakkie, ranging should never be a problem, since there should always be someone avail to range for the shooter.
    I think for simplicity sake the best option ever for most people would be something like the leupold CDS system.
    I cannot think of an easier system for average folk, a person calls the range, you adjust 1 dial, and hold dead on with no mathematics or ballistic calculators.

Banned

Arrow Re: Catastrophic hunt - Need some advice.

Please do not speak of this type of activity as "hunting"
    Clearly it is extremely difficult to guarantee a -- one shot kill ( on every animal -- every time )
    Anything else is NOT ethical HUNTING !

One wonders if there is any humane way in which to remove these particular problem springbuck ?
    Even night shooting if it meant guaranteed one shot kills would be preferable.
    Is there no "buck" in looking at game capture rather ?

Brenneke,

Please do not bring the ethics into this discussion. There is a lot to be said on that topic.

The animal did not ask to be killed so as far as I am concerned ethics is not coming into the discussion.

Unfortunately no, it is not financially viable to capture the animals as they are trek bokke and will always be trek bokke, which means they are not likely to stay on a farm that they are sold to and neither will they ever get to trophy size which means there is no real incentive for anyone to purchase said animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast