Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Catastrophic hunt - Need some advice.

I think hunting is a bit like golfing to be honest.

Anyway, here's the issue.

I shot badly! I have not been able to get my distance estimation on par this trip, and to top it all, I have a new scope. This is I know is a recipe for disaster, so please do not berate me. We were hunting mainly springbok in the Karoo.

I would like to know from the forum, how they estimate distances. i was thinking of doing the range calculation based on the size of the animal, and the size presented by the animal in the scope. I know this is not an exact science as there are many factors to be considered, but I do need to get a rough estimation to get started.

the problem that I ran into (other than these being so called trekbokke) is that I am not sure on the size of a (trekbok) springbok. I would guess that the height of the body alone at the forelegs would be 12 inches. would that be correct?

Are there any other methods that you employ to do range estimation?

Please do not tell me to use a rangefinder. These animals start running and don't ever stop running...

User

Default Re: Catastrophic hunt - Need some advice.

What did you shoot with, a creedmoor?

User

Quote Originally Posted by akading View Post
    I think hunting is a bit like golfing to be honest.Anyway, here's the issue.I shot badly! I have not been able to get my distance estimation on par this trip, and to top it all, I have a new scope. This is I know is a recipe for disaster, so please do not berate me. We were hunting mainly springbok in the Karoo.I would like to know from the forum, how they estimate distances. i was thinking of doing the range calculation based on the size of the animal, and the size presented by the animal in the scope. I know this is not an exact science as there are many factors to be considered, but I do need to get a rough estimation to get started.the problem that I ran into (other than these being so called trekbokke) is that I am not sure on the size of a (trekbok) springbok. I would guess that the height of the body alone at the forelegs would be 12 inches. would that be correct?Are there any other methods that you employ to do range estimation?Please do not tell me to use a rangefinder. These animals start running and don't ever stop running...
    Contrary to what you want to hear...use a range finder. Not to range each animal but land marks. Then you have an idea to gauge distance between zones you will be shooting in.

User

Yes, hunting is like golf- the more you practice the luckier you get!
    I find shooting at SAHunters animal targets that are life size the best way to practice and learn the size of the animal through your scope. If you use a variable scope stick to one enlargement for your practice.
    All this preparation is necessary in my opinion to ethically hunt an animal.
    If springbuck are running, do not take the shot.

MEssor, believe it or not, but when I took the CM out I actually took meat home. the .30 is the one that I was battling with.

User

Quote Originally Posted by akading View Post
    MEssor, believe it or not, but when I took the CM out I actually took meat home. the .30 is the one that I was battling with.
    Ok was just joking, question.

Voorsit or from bakkie?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Contrary to what you want to hear...use a range finder. Not to range each animal but land marks. Then you have an idea to gauge distance between zones you will be shooting in.
    Doesn't have to be a range finder, but the methodology is what's important here. If no range finder, then step off the distance (tree die afstand af) to various land marks in your shooting lane.

both really. we had to try to get rid of them.

User

Ok, when doing voorsit try working out your MPBR :
    http://www.shooterscalculator.com/po...00&sh=1.5&ts=4

Then where you sit, range that and get you know your range where you can shoot without holding over.
    When the animals gets driven in your bubble, shoot.

For bakkie, sorry you will not want to hear it, most of your shots probably weren't miscalculations, you probably missed most of those.

@Messor: Ultimately I missed all the shots that were not a hit. so no, I know it is no one's fault but my own. what is frustrating though, is I know I have on previous occasions shot much better that this trip. even the rest of the guys in the group commented on this fact.

I guess it also has to do with stress levels etc...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast