Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: What should kids learn in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    But what makes people well?

Here is the thing, take a country like the USA, came from nothing and became the most power nation on earth, because of hard work and tough people, but where did it go wrong?

The technology information era dawned, that is where things went wrong.

It works like this, humans are designed to work hard, nothing wrong with that, it’s the measure of a man. But humans are designed to cut off from work and other information the second they are done with work. For instance, when a father and son arrive home, the one goes and watch tv and the other go do playstation, they don’t go outside and play ball, or some bonding activity, where the father’s morals can rub off on the child. A husband and wife going out for dinner, do they leave their cell phones in the car, nope, they sit at the table and both are busy online, stealing social interaction time away from their marriage. Weekends, people wake up and switch on the tv, first thing they do, I can show you pictures of camping sites in the days of old, full, where people relaxed on a weekend, away from the information stream.

So put this in the perspective of a child.
    I walked to school, walked home at 1:15pm, and then got ready for sport. I did not have 2 hours of homework, nor did I have dstv. I had a balance between information and outdoor activities, and rest. Children today, being driven to school, most stay there the whole day, they come home and immediately jump on tv, youtube or social media. With their parents being FORCED to do their homework with them during that time somewhere also.

The problem with the information era people is they are smarter, smarter zombies. We humans lack social interaction that makes us human, being on facebook or twatter does not make you a better person. Spending your time assimilating data makes you more knowledgeable by stealing your humanity. Adults and children alike are developing mental problems since they do not receive what they need, 24hr information is not what you need. If the first thing you do when waking up is grabbing for your cell phone there is something wrong with you. Greeting your wife or go talking to your children before work should be your main priority.

I woke up this morning with gout in my right knee, it’s annoying, ask gout sufferers how that one feels. I took my son walking today in the veld, talking plants and animals, explaining moles and their burrows, showing him how to read tracks, it hurt, but it needed to be done, vital as breath. Putting youtube on for him to keep him busy is not good parenting. Schools should teach the vitals like mathematics and science and communication, things that help you understand your world. But it should be a fine balance between acquiring basic required knowledge and overpowering young minds with things they don’t need. A child should never need a suitcase too heavy to lug around. Humans should spend half the day working their asses off to provide for themselves, the rest of the time they need to be human. We did this for a couple of thousand years, until some day people got home and switched on the tv, or social media, and spend the rest of their hours checking what other people are doing, instead of doing something for themselves.

Children should play, be children, they are not robots, and they don’t need to be fed information 24/7. If you can google everything you lack the experience of solving a puzzle yourself. Critical thinking requires problem solving, something many youngsters lack because we think we make them better by giving them everything. Young people walk into job interviews demanding X pay because they think they are entitled to it, their PARENTS teaching them that by stuffing their faces with tv and social media.

I don’t have all the answers, but I say teaching people how to think and reason is more important than throwing knowledge at them, even a parrot can learn to speak.
    You are quite right Messor.

I dont mind admitting that when I left university the my employers were doing all the thinking. When I started
    my own business I had to learn to think all over again. Fast - very, very fast. Think and scheme and plot and plan every single day or run the
    risk of failure. I had no email, google, accounting packages, online banking or any of the electronic tools I have today.
    Teaching my children how to think for themselves was very difficult with TV, video games and the like.

I once asked a good friend who was the head of math`s at a well known school what her biggest problem was with today`s scholars.
    Instant gratification was her reply. The answer is either instant or they simply lose interest. Holding a scholars attention during a double
    period of math`s must have been extremely difficult.

Good question OP.

Sir Ken Robinson, during his TED Talk (Changing Education Paradigms), said:

The problem is, that the current system of education, was designed and conceived and structured for a different age. It was conceived in intellectual culture of the enlightenment, and in the economic circumstances of the industrial revolution
    and
    I believe we have a system of education that is modeled on the interests of industrialism, and in the image of it.
    It has worked (kind of) up to now, but what about 5-10, 10-20 years from now? The education system is awfully slow to adapt, even if we update all the material to the present, we're training and equipping them for a world which has already come and gone. By the time they're ready to enter the workforce, with antiquated skills and no experience, how will they be able to compete with an aging workforce (who can't afford to retire) with decades of experience over them?

How long till kids getting a summer job flipping burgers, go the way of the dodo? Fast food vendors are already seriously looking at replacing staff with damn vending machines. Sure, machines can't do everything, humans will always be required, but how many will that be, out of an estimated 7+ billion people? It must be absolutely terrifying to be a parent in this age.

User

With 4 kids currently in school, I can tell you a few things about what happens there.

Basically the kids are tought to obey orders and NOT to think for themselves.

They are fed a buch of commie propaganda, and every time this is questioned, the teacher says "well, I disagree too, but this is what is prescribed and what you will be examined on". The propaganda is weaved into all sorts of subjects, even maths.

The people who created the official state syllabus are obviously very confused. Not even basic maths is arranged in logical order.

The teachers are basically treated like crap and paid peanuts at state schools. It amazes me that we still have a few good dedicated teachers. I would not last long under their typical working conditions.

During holidays and over weekends, I try to teach my kids to think for themselves and to work for things they want. Basically the opposite of what they have gotten used to.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    With 4 kids currently in school, I can tell you a few things about what happens there.

They are fed a buch of commie propaganda, and every time this is questioned, the teacher says "well, I disagree too, but this is what is prescribed and what you will be examined on". The propaganda is weaved into all sorts of subjects, even maths.

The people who created the official state syllabus are obviously very confused. Not even basic maths is arranged in logical order.

The teachers are basically treated like crap and paid peanuts at state schools. It amazes me that we still have a few good dedicated teachers. I would not last long under their typical working conditions.

During holidays and over weekends, I try to teach my kids to think for themselves and to work for things they want. Basically the opposite of what they have gotten used to.
    Thank you, A-R.

When I said it people thought I was mad.

Glad to see a clear thinking parent seeing the same things I do, without fear of saying what needs said.

User

I'm in the lucky position of teaching woodwork so I don't have to deal with all the crap content other teachers do. I spend a lot of time talking to my students during practical periods and much of that is about the country, economics, family values etc. That is what I love about my subject, we have the freedom to talk about stuff most other teachers cannot.

Unfortunately we do not have enough time to teach kids everything which is why it is so important that parents do some teaching as well. In fact, they should teach even more than we do but on the important stuff like you mentioned, critical thinking, values etc. We cannot teach children values, we simply do not have enough time and by the time we get them, they have already been programmed. In some cases this good, in some, not so much. If parents do not teach their kids values and morals, the world will. If parents would take more responsibility for educating their children, we would have a much easier job. Kids act out, we get blamed, simple as that. Parents and kids take very little responsibility for their own actions and inadequacies and nowadays it's easier to point the finger than to do some introspection.

I love my job, it's my calling so I'm all into it but it is not easy. People always joke and say we work half day and have four vacations. During those vacations we also have training that we have to attend, parents never see that. It takes a week for me to shut off, to relax. The second I rest, the third week I start working on the new term. In other words, a one week vacation is not enough, you don't shut off.

It is extremely rewarding but it is emotionally more taxing than you can imagine. It's one of those things you need to do to understand. We need vacation more than people can ever imagine. The worst part is not so much the teaching but rather the admin we have to do. I probably spend more time on admin than I do on teaching.

User

Exactly true! My Mother is a Headmaster at a private school, but had back in 1997 been forced to attend training by DoE on Curriculum 2005.
    This system was set up to indoctrinate children, to let them believe in White Privilege, to de-colonialise schools and society!
    Put your tinfoil head on, for what will come is stranger than fiction
    https://twitter.com/KTHopkinshttps://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1139953173207101443
    https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1139924010295320576

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5