Default CZ550 Set Trigger and Set Triggers in general

So I was researching setting my triggers as I would like all my triggers as far as possible to react the same way.

In the early days I tried the set trigger and found it to be less "accurate" than the normal trigger. I abandoned the set trigger as it was for me not appropriate for hunting. While googling today I noticed that the set trigger is not an independent trigger but introduces a stage ahead of the normal trigger.

So the set trigger has a very small seer, you push the trigger forward and it engages this tiny seer. When you activate the set trigger it releases the seer and then it whacks into the normal trigger which then releases the normal seer. This effectively creates a hang time , albeit of short duration, could this be the reason I was not successful.

Then did some more research and I am not the only one it would appear.

Anyone using a set trigger and what are your experiences.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: CZ550 Set Trigger and Set Triggers in general

I have used the set trigger feature on my ZKK602 and CZ550, and found the same thing you did. I now have a strong dislike for set triggers.

On my 550 I just shortened the normal trigger return spring and adjusted it with the normal screws. Works pretty well for a factory trigger. The set trigger is adjusted so it won't engage.

What pull weight do you set on the normal trigger?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    What pull weight do you set on the normal trigger?
    I have not measured it yet, but it is quite sensitive. Works well for those offhand snapshots.

User

Ditto on the experience on my ZKK-601... could never shoot as accurately with it (on the range) as with the "unset" trigger, so never considered it for hunting. I've always had the perception of a "lot of mass moving and stopping rapidly" and your explanation confirms that.

How does one "unset" the trigger on the 550? The ZKK has a little inset (a-la Glock) that evidently trips the "little sear", so if you keep the trigger pressed forward with your thumb, and press on the inset with your forefinger, the trigger is released, and you can slowly move it back to the "unset" position without the shot going off.

ETA: From the explanation, I think its safe to say that the ZKK/CZ550 single set triggers aren't true "set triggers". I believe more traditional double set triggers work completely differently and truely presets the sear.

User

I have a classical mauser double trigger setup on my Amberg 1916 in 8x57JS. On the range over sticks or sandbags it works perfect. Get 1 moa groups from this rifle.
    Having said that-the set mechanism must not be too light and thus dangerous.

User

I have a CZ550 lux in 30:06. I took it to a gunsmith and had them dial out the set trigger completely so it doesn't work at all. He then set the regular trigger to 2lbs. This is where I set all my rifles so the break is the same no matter which one I am using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro