Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Stocks - convert short action stock to fit Long action

Ok, perhaps this is a dumb question, perhaps someone else was also wondering...

Is it possible, and what amount of effort is involved, to convert a rifle stock - say a Boyds, or GRS or similar - from being made for a SHORT ACTION, the fitting a LONG ACTION in it...

Yes, I do understand that if the stock/chassis comes with magazine, it would net fit... but the laminate stocks require you to use your existing furniture. The only thing I can think is that the inletting will be slightly different. and this should not be to ridiculously difficult to fix? Not?

Your expert opinions are welcome from this point on...

regards

Francois

User

Default Re: Stocks - convert short action stock to fit Long action

I think it's easier to make a short-action stock fit a long action than the other way around. If the stock has the "meat" to mill out, I'm sure it'll work. It'll also depend on the stock, if you ask me. If the stock comes with metal struts or supports with the synthetic material built around it, or in the case of those stocks built from metal with plastic covering over it, it'll be harder to work.

Out of interest, for what rifle do you want to fit it?

User

It should be possible to mill out the front part of the inletting in a laminated stock to fit the longer action. Then add any cross-bolts and bedding pillars and epoxy any gaps shut. It should even look good if properly done. So yes, I think it is possible, provided the actual dimentions will allow this.

The only issue I see is the cost. The above entails quite a bit of work, so the hours and machine time may just cost you more than the effort is worth.

Would it be possible to swop the SA stock for a LA version, or just sell it and buy the correct item?

User

Ok, so this is the situation that prompted me asking the question...

I have a Howa 6.5x55 with Hogue overmould stock (and a Howa 338WM with Boyds Laminate stock) and it shoots good... however, I am not particularly fond of the Hogue stock... I do like the GRS stocks, and am thinking of dropping the money and getting one. However, almost all of the factory machined stocks locally available, are for Short Action Howas... I can only assume this would be because of the current 6.5creed histeria, and long range shooting's popularity, that is driving the availability of SA stocks... the few Long Action stocks available, are not in colours that particularly appeal to me...

So I am thinking of getting a GRS SA stock for the Howa, and then fitting my LA 6.5x55 to it... unfortunately, both my Howas are LA, so I can not even place them side by side to see it there are differences that would complicate matters... I have created my own stock by hand for my Remington .22LR, and I enjoyed the experience. And the .22 shoots very nicely in the new stock...

So, I have 2 real possibilities. I can get a GRS 'blank' stock... ie no inletting done at all, and start from scratch for my own rifle. Or, I can get a stock inlet for a short action, and modify what has already been machined, and fit my Long Action in it. being optimistic, I am guessing that 50% or more of the machining would still be valid/usable in this situation...

Am I smoking my socks? or is this do-able...?

Of course one can also try to import an appropriate stock from Canada... of wait the 20 years to get one (if ever) when you even attempt to order it through local agents...

User

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    Ok, so this is the situation that prompted me asking the question...

I have a Howa 6.5x55 with Hogue overmould stock (and a Howa 338WM with Boyds Laminate stock) and it shoots good... however, I am not particularly fond of the Hogue stock... I do like the GRS stocks, and am thinking of dropping the money and getting one. However, almost all of the factory machined stocks locally available, are for Short Action Howas... I can only assume this would be because of the current 6.5creed histeria, and long range shooting's popularity, that is driving the availability of SA stocks... the few Long Action stocks available, are not in colours that particularly appeal to me...

So I am thinking of getting a GRS SA stock for the Howa, and then fitting my LA 6.5x55 to it... unfortunately, both my Howas are LA, so I can not even place them side by side to see it there are differences that would complicate matters... I have created my own stock by hand for my Remington .22LR, and I enjoyed the experience. And the .22 shoots very nicely in the new stock...

So, I have 2 real possibilities. I can get a GRS 'blank' stock... ie no inletting done at all, and start from scratch for my own rifle. Or, I can get a stock inlet for a short action, and modify what has already been machined, and fit my Long Action in it. being optimistic, I am guessing that 50% or more of the machining would still be valid/usable in this situation...

Am I smoking my socks? or is this do-able...?

Of course one can also try to import an appropriate stock from Canada... of wait the 20 years to get one (if ever) when you even attempt to order it through local agents...
    GRS dont make stocks for Howa LA rifles. You options are a uninletted GRS blank or a custom stock( there are a few guys making GRS-like stocks in SA-Skaapboer, Henk Viljoen and Michael Baraball all come to mind).

There should be enough material to change the inletting of a SA Howa stock to a LA. I am reasonable sure the rear action screw, trigger and rear of magazine are similar between Howa SA and LA actions, only front of magazine and front action screw placement differs. depending on the palcement of the front action screw, you might not have enough material to support the recoil lug. A custom aluminium bedding block will solve that problem.

If you arent set on a GRS, you should be able to pick up another Boyds stock, or fit a composite stock from Smoking Guns or chasis from Gunwarrior. Cost-wise you will probably spend less on a custom stock or GW chasis than on a GRS and modifications. Smoking Guns or Boyds will be the cheapest options.

User

Well I have a thumbhole stock for a Remington 700 LA rifle. If you want to do that much modding, you can just as well do it on a long-action stock that's already 3/4 of the way there.

User

Interesting... I confer what you are saying based on the GRS website... but.. I found this on Safari Outdoor's website... https://safarioutdoor.co.za/departme...ck-104575.html

Wonder if this was then custom for them?

I have given thought to the idea of a Alu chassis... however, my 2 girls hunt with the 6.5, and a chassis would simply become too heavy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Well I have a thumbhole stock for a Remington 700 LA rifle. If you want to do that much modding, you can just as well do it on a long-action stock that's already 3/4 of the way there.
    That would also be a possibility... the Remi 700 is quite similar... colour and price?

User

That would also be a possibility... the Remi 700 is quite similar... colour and price?
    It's a walnut stock, with different coloured woods on the grip cap and foreend. I'll send you a PM with my number. WhatsApp me and we can chat!

User

Interesting... I confer what you are saying based on the GRS website... but.. I found this on Safari Outdoor's website... https://safarioutdoor.co.za/departme...ck-104575.html

Wonder if this was then custom for them?

I have given thought to the idea of a Alu chassis... however, my 2 girls hunt with the 6.5, and a chassis would simply become too heavy.
    AFAIK it's a custom order with S&O branding.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast