Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bump in the night vest

Today I read this article, and I am all the more convinced a vest is not a bad idea...

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...oftog-vermoor/

"Neighbor goes to the aid of the people being attacked [murdered] next door, get shot in the chest - dies on the scene. ""What if"" he had a vest on....."

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    Today I read this article, and I am all the more convinced a vest is not a bad idea...

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...oftog-vermoor/

"Neighbor goes to the aid of the people being attacked [murdered] next door, get shot in the chest - dies on the scene. ""What if"" he had a vest on....."
    Unfortunately the family affected by this is an acquaintance's sister.

Also had an incident recently that was way too close to home which highlighted just how unprepared I actually am for a situation; be it SHTF or bump-in-the-night.

Following this thread with interest.

User

Were do I even begin to look at vests? What level offers what kind of protection? I dont want to own one but Id rather have it and not need it I guess?
    How and were does one start shopping for a “bulletproof vest”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up on our farm and my father is still actively farming. I remember from my school days that almost weekly the dogs would chase a wild cat or baboon up a tree usually in the early hours of the morning, and it was my job to take the mag light and .22 and sort it out. After the recent farm attacks, I knew my dad is set in his ways and if the dogs bark he will go outside to investigate. I once tried to explain that he should stay indoors as he is a target and bad fu**ers might wait for him outside. He just looked at me oddly and asked if he should wait in the bathroom with a loaded pistol for 4 hours to shoot the cat up the tree.I then knew I had to buy him a bp vest, much else I could not do. So since I had a lot of cousins farming as well I ordered 7 kevlar vests and some plates for some. On the vest is a holster and pouch for mag light. The idea is to keep it minimalistic and have everything in one place. I am told by ta that he doesn't go outside at night without his vest.From personal experience, you want all your stuff in one place. keep it simple. I have a kevlar vest with my g17 attached to holster. Light is weapon mounted. Keys, charging cellphone, pants and shoes are next to my bed. 3 yards away is a go bag with a radio, cable ties, torch, glow sticks, para chord, small first aid kit, extra mags.My first priority is my pistol. My second priority is my vest. If I have time, I will put it on. My third priority is my go bag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeKotze View Post
    I grew up on our farm and my father is still actively farming. I remember from my school days that almost weekly the dogs would chase a wild cat or baboon up a tree usually in the early hours of the morning, and it was my job to take the mag light and .22 and sort it out. After the recent farm attacks, I knew my dad is set in his ways and if the dogs bark he will go outside to investigate. I once tried to explain that he should stay indoors as he is a target and bad fu**ers might wait for him outside. He just looked at me oddly and asked if he should wait in the bathroom with a loaded pistol for 4 hours to shoot the cat up the tree.I then knew I had to buy him a bp vest, much else I could not do. So since I had a lot of cousins farming as well I ordered 7 kevlar vests and some plates for some. On the vest is a holster and pouch for mag light. The idea is to keep it minimalistic and have everything in one place. I am told by ta that he doesn't go outside at night without his vest.From personal experience, you want all your stuff in one place. keep it simple. I have a kevlar vest with my g17 attached to holster. Light is weapon mounted. Keys, charging cellphone, pants and shoes are next to my bed. 3 yards away is a go bag with a radio, cable ties, torch, glow sticks, para chord, small first aid kit, extra mags.My first priority is my pistol. My second priority is my vest. If I have time, I will put it on. My third priority is my go bag.
    What level of vest? Where did you get it and why from that manufacturer?

Approx price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I use a Shellback Banshee plate carrier w/ L4 large SAPI plates. You can also get SAPI cut soft III-A inserts if your threat level is all pistol or shotgun; these are much lighter in weight than the ceramic plates. This carrier has lots of molle. I put 3 HSGI x2 mag pouches on it. They will carry 2 AR, AK or G3 mags each. It is very quick to put on and will fit just about any size or build. Very adjustable.

User

Small FYI for the guys looking, I found these guys, they have been very on the ball when it comes to getting back to me
    https://www.bodyarmour.co.za/bulletproof-vests/
    Based in Germiston, the pic I posted earlier is one of theirs

Prices range from around R2000 for a basic Rapid response all the way to over R6000 for the Farmers model all in Level II, if you want Level IIIA add around R700 extra. They also do plates and the like and again depending on level and weight you can expect anything from R2000 a set to R7000

There are obviously other guys in SA that do them, these are just the first guys I have contacted

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    I use a Shellback Banshee plate carrier w/ L4 large SAPI plates. You can also get SAPI cut soft III-A inserts if your threat level is all pistol or shotgun; these are much lighter in weight than the ceramic plates. This carrier has lots of molle. I put 3 HSGI x2 mag pouches on it. They will carry 2 AR, AK or G3 mags each. It is very quick to put on and will fit just about any size or build. Very adjustable.
    Unfortunatley here in SA, we don't get SAPI cut plates (trust me I looked high and low), and even multi curve shooter / swimmers cut plates are just about non existent... how ironic considering the amount of crime we have and how big our security industry is.

Most of the time you are stuck with a single curve Shooters cut plate. Which I might add doesn't fit all that well in my JPC, but it has to do for now.

When I first got my vest I went all out on accessories and Molle.

I have found the following, walking patrols and for the general bump in the night.

1) You want the minimum on your vest. Torch, spare pistol mag, pistol and radio.
    2) IFAK is very much an IFAK and not more than a set of gloves, a TQ and a some kind of wound closure. If you are operating in and around your home why the hell are you carrying a WWBDD IFAK.
    3) Your vest needs to be prepped every night. Don't go trying to find safe keys in the middle of the night, then find shotty / pistol to load and put into vest, then find the radio is not charged, or you can't find the earpiece for the radio or, or, or etc.

I have run mine as follows.
    Vest with Poly plate in the front carrier.
    Molle Universal holster, holding 9mm with WML
    Molle Mag pouch
    Molle Pouch with main torch
    Molle Pouch with radio and ear piece threaded and installed on the inside of the vest to minimise hang-ups.
    Shotgun with WML and a side-saddle on a single point sling, loaded with Buckshot.
    Minimal IFAK strapped on top of the radio to conceal the lights as the radio TX/RX's

Depending on what I'm doing, then NV and/or Thermal is required. This has been my single biggest issue as to where to carry it. I have found that pants with cargo pockets are the next best solution so as not to encumber my vest with more crap.
    I have often (in reality only 2 or 3 times) dropped the Thermal / NV prior to engaging a target and only collected it the following day just to free-up hands and not waste time.

I'm right handed so the pistol is in the holster at 1:30 - 2:00.
    I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot the shotty out of my left shoulder so it's slung on my left side out of the way of the molle mounted equipment.
    Radio is mounted top center of the vest.

What I have tried and then dropped from the vest over time.
    Larger IFAK
    Zip cuffs
    Spare mags
    Spare Shotgun shells
    Dump pouch for NV / Thermal
    Water bottle / Bladder
    Gloves
    Handcuffs
    The main torch pouch on the vest has been on and off a few times. I find if it's on then I don't forget it.
    You don't want to be using a WML to search.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Better barricade gun than the pistol by far, and the pistol will compliment the shotgun anyways
    Another reason is the close proximity of neighbors, so my AR is not ideal
    If it is a barricade gun, you don't need a vest with pouches and shit.

Get a bag that you can set up and keep it with the gun in the room that you are going to barricade in.

Do you take your gauge out religiously every night?

If not, don't bother with staging bags and what have you. If the shit hits it you need the gun no more than an arm's length from you. That gun is more likely to be a pistol.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast