Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Home defense revolver for my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I can think of a few reasons:

1. Price of firearm.
    2. Only a strongroom defence gun.
    3. Simple to operate.
    4. Wife has weakish hands so struggle to grip pistol slides.
    5. Wife had a bad experience with a pistol jam up.
    6. What is the chance in the explained scenario of holding the safe area that more than 5 shots will be needed.
    7. Wife's dad or other family member has used a revolver and she has been taught that "pistols jam" and "revolvers don't".
    8. Wife are proficient and confident in revolver use and don't want to learn to use a pistol.
    9. Wife like the looks of a revolver more than that of a pistol.
    10. Wife don't like the mechanical action of the slide and cartridge ejection in front of her face as experienced with a pistol.

Yeah yeah, all of those reasons there can be holes punched in them. I am not discussing the merits, just thinking about reasons why the OP would want to have a revolver.
    I do not see any of those as reasons to buy a revolver over a semi-auto, rather excuses to not approach something like this with the seriousness and commitment it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Why would this be?
    The reason I get most often is that they don't have the strength to pull back the slide. These are not gun people or young gymming 20'year old's. Also the right aftermarket grip on a revolver can feel fantastic given that there is no magazine to prescribe grip shape. The factory stocks are usually poor though. With a short barreled snubbie the weight is centred in your hand with a really secure and natural feeling grip that adds no small measure of reassurance to someone unfamiliar with guns. Plus they are really easy to hide in a jacket pocket etc yet go bang without jamming.Again not arguing that they are the best just explaing why some still use and many of us did till not that long ago despite there being arguably better options.Although it is relatively more recently that the likes of the Shield and Glock 43 have taken over that particular niche.

User

My wife struggled to rack the slide on her Brand new Glock G26 Gen5 at first when I bought it for her last year, seems like this is an excuse for some ladies to prefer a revolver? Now after a few months and a few hundred rounds, she has no issues racking the slide, its all about practice and training

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The reason I get most often is that they don't have the strength to pull back the slide. These are not gun people or young gymming 20'year old's. Also the right aftermarket grip on a revolver can feel fantastic given that there is no magazine to prescribe grip shape. The factory stocks are usually poor though. With a short barreled snubbie the weight is centred in your hand with a really secure and natural feeling grip that adds no small measure of reassurance to someone unfamiliar with guns. Plus they are really easy to hide in a jacket pocket etc yet go bang without jamming.Again not arguing that they are the best just explaing why some still use and many of us did till not that long ago despite there being arguably better options.Although it is relatively more recently that the likes of the Shield and Glock 43 have taken over that particular niche.
    In my experience, the complaint of not having the strength to rack a slide is actually a technique problem.

Its easier to blame a physical inadequacy rather than improve a technique by investing in training.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I find it hard to believe that a woman can pull a DA trigger on a revolver, but not rack the slide on a modern pistol.

In my experience, the complaint of not having the strength to rack a slide is actually a technique problem.

Its easier to blame a physical inadequacy rather than improve a technique by investing in training.
    I don't disagree with you on principal.I repeat these are not gun people. For them it is a tool that they need to work in the easiest possible/understandable/cheapest way. Much like we want our toaster, TV, microwave etc to do. Like when last did any of us read the manual.

Banned

Why would this be?
    Because people are people. We are mostly shooting folks on the forum. It means we enjoy shooting - whether a 1902 FN target pistol or a brand new Glock 43X does not matter.

Similar comparison: some folks are really happy to drive around in an old Opel because it gets the job done. They know other brands are better and they can afford something else, but why bother? I would rather spend my money on xyz.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Similar comparison: some folks are really happy to drive around in an old Opel because it gets the job done. They know other brands are better and they can afford something else, but why bother? I would rather spend my money on xyz.
    That’s one reason I still drive a 2002 Silverado pickup truck, more ammo and things that make them go bang.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    For the most part even a cheap taurus revolver can be depended on to go bang.
    No, it cannot.

User

If I read the OP's post correctly, he has a 9mm that will be the primary weapon in a saferoom situation. The 38 special would be to keep bad guys down while he swops mags, for that purpose any firearm would work well. A snub revolver pointshoots reasonably, it doesn't have issues with being neglected, it makes enough noise to scare the crap out of most people and it's very cheap to load for. As a primary it is probably not the best for the job, but for the stated purpose it wil serve well. If a pistol is to be used I would suggest a 380, low recoil even with a light frame auto-loader.
    It's like my farm bakkie, a nissan champ, not the best choice, but I'm willing ro allow it to go through abuse that I would never consider for the toyota etios that I also drive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast