Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    No, it cannot.
    Likely not have to been around as many as you but I have both seen and shot more than just a few in my life. All of them went bang. My personal one actually had very good quality steel and worked very very well.They were well enough regarded in the 90's by more than a few acquaintance's who dealt in guns. As I said if you staged the double action you could get light strikes but if pulled quickly it was usually not an issue.Plus it was a very very easy fix. The very early ones; possibly pre 85 ish were very very rough.The pistols I had doubts about.

User

Default Re: Home defense revolver for my wife

I can understand your wife's choice. My wife has a G19, a S&W .22 LR compact pistol and a 38 special licensed on her name. She prefers to EDC the 38 special daily. She is proficient in all but most comfortable with the 38 special.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Just to get back to the OP's actual question: "Why are there a lot of Taurus revolvers available."

Because a lot have been sold so now a lot are available as more people that bought them in that timeframe now either get rid of their guns because of licensing issues (older age people not up to the crap anymore) or getting rid of them to get a modern pistol licensed. (This modern pistol thing is also a funny expression. Since when has Glocks been available- )

There are a few opinions that a Taurus might not always go bang. I only have experience with 3 Taurus revolvers and never had an issue with any of them. If you get one that is giving problems it will probably do it a lot, so can be worked on to be reliable. If it is not giving a underpowered strike problem, well, then I cannot see why it should do it once in a while.

Any brand or type of firearm might have hickups at some stage.

For your intended purpose there might be better alternatives, like all things in life. A Land Cruiser will be a better farm vehicle than my old Hilux and Ford, but its purchase and running cost is too high for me. The Ford or Hilux will probably break before a Land Cruiser does with comparable use, but both serve me well and get the job done and is affordable.

Get a Taurus, use it and make sure it is reliable before putting it on the safe rack for the rainy day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Likely not have to been around as many as you but I have both seen and shot more than just a few in my life. All of them went bang. My personal one actually had very good quality steel and worked very very well.They were well enough regarded in the 90's by more than a few acquaintance's who dealt in guns. As I said if you staged the double action you could get light strikes but if pulled quickly it was usually not an issue.Plus it was a very very easy fix. The very early ones; possibly pre 85 ish were very very rough.The pistols I had doubts about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Just to get back to the OP's actual question: "Why are there a lot of Taurus revolvers available."

Because a lot have been sold so now a lot are available as more people that bought them in that timeframe now either get rid of their guns because of licensing issues (older age people not up to the crap anymore) or getting rid of them to get a modern pistol licensed. (This modern pistol thing is also a funny expression. Since when has Glocks been available- )

There are a few opinions that a Taurus might not always go bang. I only have experience with 3 Taurus revolvers and never had an issue with any of them. If you get one that is giving problems it will probably do it a lot, so can be worked on to be reliable. If it is not giving a underpowered strike problem, well, then I cannot see why it should do it once in a while.

Any brand or type of firearm might have hickups at some stage.

For your intended purpose there might be better alternatives, like all things in life. A Land Cruiser will be a better farm vehicle than my old Hilux and Ford, but its purchase and running cost is too high for me. The Ford or Hilux will probably break before a Land Cruiser does with comparable use, but both serve me well and get the job done and is affordable.

Get a Taurus, use it and make sure it is reliable before putting it on the safe rack for the rainy day.
    Wow. ok. I surrender completely. I utterly give up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    Wow. ok. I surrender completely. I utterly give up.
    Get the Ford, it is really OK.

The car analogy gets trotted out a lot.

It's flawed. If your car breaks down, you walk.

If your gun breaks down in a fight you fucking die.

But, like Piet, I'm tired of trying to beat sense into people with the cluebat.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    The car analogy gets trotted out a lot.

It's flawed. If your car breaks down, you walk.

If your gun breaks down in a fight you fucking die.

But, like Piet, I'm tired of trying to beat sense into people with the cluebat.
    The mistake we make is assuming people are serious about potential life vs. death decisions, when in reality they are OK making themselves believe they are at least doing something, and anything is better than nothing.

False security is a thing.

In the end it is still their money, their lives.

Lead a horse to water and all that...

User

About those revolvers that never jam: I was watching a guy I know on the range shooting a snubby. He was doing it really well too; good stance, proper grip, excellent grouping and really snappy reloads (he was using those thingamajigs that dumps five shells into the cylinder at once). Five more shots into targets, opens cylinder and dumps cases out, five rounds in, briskly closes cylinder and the the fun started. Gun comes up, grip snugged up, sights on target, I see the trigger finger start working but no bang. Much harder yank on the trigger and still no bang.

Gun completely locked up, cylinder will not turn and trigger cannot be pulled. Eventually he gets the cylinder opened up and dumps out the rounds.

Turns out one of his cases had a slightly thicker rim, just enough to jam everything up when he snapped the cylinder closed after his fast reload.

But revolvers never jam.

User

I own a bunch of revolvers and shoot them competitively, alongside my pistols. I really like my revolvers, but most of them a Rugers. I do own a Taurus as well, simply because I could not afford a S&W 627 V-Comp. I have experienced and seen more jams on revolvers than on pistols. Also, when a revolver jams, you usually need tools and some skills to get it going again. Even when it does work flawlessly, you still need more skills to shoot it well, compared to a pistol. And when you manage to shoot it dry, which happens much faster than on any pistol, you need much more time to get it reloaded, and you definitely need to look at it to get it loaded. Not the best idea in a life or death situation, and under the extreme stress that goes with such a situation.

Revolvers that never jam are likely never shot either, or maybe very little. Most shooters just shoot 1 cylinder full and then put it away, as practicing that speed-reload is just plain embarrasing...

The preceding four pages delivers one hell of a lot of information. It's going to take me several re-reads to absorb it all. One clarification: I meant .38 Special, not .38 S&W. Just got my wires crossed. Thanks for taking the time to help me begin to sort my situation out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast