Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Rand
    Age
    29
    Posts
    919

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Many home invasions are initiated in the driveway, or at times before everything is locked up.

    This fantasy of being alerted then having time to go to the safe, grab long guns and ammo etc is exactly that, a fantasy.

    Now am I wrong for pointing out that your SD "plan" is assuming a very unlikely scenario at the expense for preparing for a far MORE likely scenario?

    The price of an SLR could probably have bought a modern EDC pistol, night sights, an IWB carry rig for during the day, a belt with torch/spare mag and holster for the gun next to your bed when sleeping, training and ammo.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    you are aware that a semi-auto rifle cannot be licensed for self defense? The only legal reason you may get a license for one is sport shooting, there is no other legal reason within the Firearms Control Act to obtain one. If you say it will be used for self defense your application will probably be refused as that is not a recognized purpose under the Firearm Control Act, only a handgun or a shotgun that is not semi-auto may be licensed for self defense and motivated as to be used for self defense. I asked the DFO how I should motivate my application, and he stated that a section 16 application doesn't legally require a motivation, but motivate it for sport shooting.
    unless you have a security company, or are a farmer. Neither of which is the case.
    "There is no other legal reason within the Firearms Control Act to obtain one". Yet you say you got it for home defence.

    Like Trundle said....internet forever, dfo, cfr.

    Some experienced and clever guys have said stuff here, maybe pause and accept.

  3. #43
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    41
    Posts
    542

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Using your section 16 rifle for self defence is just as legal as using your section 16 handgun for self defence.
    Yet that is regularly advocated here.

  4. #44
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Boshof
    Age
    32
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    you are aware that a semi-auto rifle cannot be licensed for self defense? The only legal reason you may get a license for one is sport shooting, there is no other legal reason within the Firearms Control Act to obtain one. If you say it will be used for self defense your application will probably be refused as that is not a recognized purpose under the Firearm Control Act, only a handgun or a shotgun that is not semi-auto may be licensed for self defense and motivated as to be used for self defense. I asked the DFO how I should motivate my application, and he stated that a section 16 application doesn't legally require a motivation, but motivate it for sport shooting.
    unless you have a security company, or are a farmer. Neither of which is the case.
    to be honest in my reaction to the post, I forgot section 14. I actually had to go look in my competency book to find out what exactly it is. The only people I know who have self defense motivated firearms are either private security or farmers, I kinda assumed those were the only reasons one could have one. thanks for the correction.

  5. #45
    Moderator SSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,804

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    A further correction: Firearms for use by private security are not licenced for self defence. They are licenced for business purposes under section 20.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

  6. #46
    Moderator SSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,804

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    This fantasy of being alerted then having time to go to the safe, grab long guns and ammo etc is exactly that, a fantasy.
    Quoted for fucking truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    The price of an SLR could probably have bought a modern EDC pistol, night sights, an IWB carry rig for during the day, a belt with torch/spare mag and holster for the gun next to your bed when sleeping, training and ammo.
    None of that is necessary if you have an autoloading rifle in the safe, that is unloaded. Obvs.

    Especially not training.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

  7. #47
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    55 02'08" N 7 38'44"W
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    This may shock you, but people get more than one, for more than one purpose.
    Yes, I have six lisences, got two that I have to apply for and one deactivated Broomhandle to stroke only when I feel so.
    Then I think I need a Glock 19 as a better EDC when I get back to doing it.

  8. #48
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    55 02'08" N 7 38'44"W
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    you are aware that a semi-auto rifle cannot be licensed for self defense? The only legal reason you may get a license for one is sport shooting, there is no other legal reason within the Firearms Control Act to obtain one. If you say it will be used for self defense your application will probably be refused as that is not a recognized purpose under the Firearm Control Act, only a handgun or a shotgun that is not semi-auto may be licensed for self defense and motivated as to be used for self defense. I asked the DFO how I should motivate my application, and he stated that a section 16 application doesn't legally require a motivation, but motivate it for sport shooting.
    unless you have a security company, or are a farmer. Neither of which is the case.
    Save us all a lot of time and don't make yourself look like an Idiot- go read act 60 of 2000 and the regulations, then come and argue again what we that know and are dedicated may and may not do.
    It will be afternoon spend well- far better then commiting verbal enkoperesis here!

  9. #49

    Default Re: Are pistol owners the 6.5 Creedmoor equivalent of the handgun world?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    is it under your supervision when you have handed her a gun and you end up in another room?
    The legal defence of 'necessity' will come into play here. If you are under attack, all that 'under your supervision' crap becomes irrelevant.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •