Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default CZ 75 Pre-B 1986 Model-Half Cock Position

Good day All.
    Can someone please tell me a little bit more about the above mentioned topic,i have already "Safely played" a little bit with my newly acquired FA,considering to carry it this way,already observed that in this condition the following happens: Round in chamber,half cocked the trigger is in DA mode,(safety can't be engaged)..considering this condition as the experienced that know this FA that there is no firing pin block & i have a fear that if it falls & it's not a perfect world a AD can happen,don't want that also who carries this FA like this & what is your experience in this regard?
    i have being advised to carry cocked & locked..(still have to take off safety if needed hopefully never).. but i think this might add strain to that hammer spring etc with time or some advised to lower the hammer down on a live chamber ,any feedback would help.

Thanks.
    regards
    H.

User

Default Re: CZ 75 Pre-B 1986 Model-Half Cock Position

Do not carry this pistol on Half cock. This is not what this feature is meant for.

The half cock is a safety measure meant to catch the hammer if it drops from full cock without the trigger being pulled. If it drops from half cock then it will fire.

Either carry hammer down or fully cocked with safety on.

Never half cock.

Obviously always with a round in the chamber.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    Do not carry this pistol on Half cock. This is not what this feature is meant for.

The half cock is a safety measure meant to catch the hammer if it drops from full cock without the trigger being pulled. If it drops from half cock then it will fire.

Either carry hammer down or fully cocked with safety on.

Never half cock.

Obviously always with a round in the chamber.
    So if i understand you correctly Sean;should i by accident drop this firearm when it's cocked & locked or even safety off"Heaven forbid" & it falls on it's hammer,it will only move to have cocked position & not go off as this is a built in safety measure built into my FA?
    Thanks for your reply

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    So if i understand you correctly Sean;should i by accident drop this firearm when it's cocked & locked or even safety off"Heaven forbid" & it falls on it's hammer,it will only move to have cocked position & not go off as this is a built in safety measure built into my FA?
    Thanks for your reply
    Another scenario: If you carry hammer down with a Live chamber,can it still go off(if drpped,this ain't no perfect world & if you handle your FA enough & know it inside out things can get dropped accidentally)..? I know a while back before i had my FA i posted a similar Q about this,someone replied that i should test with PPE & all with a primed case with a rubber mallet to test,I presume you also have a CZ 75??

Banned

Check whether your pistol has a firing pin block. If it has, your pistol can be carried hammer down. The firing pin block will prevent it from firing when it falls. If it does not have a firing pin block, you must carry cocked and locked, or hammer down on an empty chamber.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Check whether your pistol has a firing pin block. If it has, your pistol can be carried hammer down. The firing pin block will prevent it from firing when it falls. If it does not have a firing pin block, you must carry cocked and locked, or hammer down on an empty chamber.
    Thanks Ds J;it is noted will check & keep you posted!
    Another question for owners or anyone with experience out there: Does it put strain on the hammer & all it's associated parts to carry this specific FA in the cocked & locked(live chamber) 24-7..?

Cocked and locked is the way to go, there are no detrimental effects except normal wear.The FA is about 33 yrs old, springs etc., need to be changed when necessary.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    Another scenario: If you carry hammer down with a Live chamber,can it still go off(if drpped,this ain't no perfect world & if you handle your FA enough & know it inside out things can get dropped accidentally)..? I know a while back before i had my FA i posted a similar Q about this,someone replied that i should test with PPE & all with a primed case with a rubber mallet to test,I presume you also have a CZ 75??
    No. ThIS CZ75, and all other modern hammer fired pistols have enertial firing pins, so from the hammer down position, an impact on the hammer will not cause the weapon to fire.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

My first gun was a pre-B CZ75. It is one of the best pistols I ever owned. I am also very glad I don't need to EDC it any more. They don't come with a FPB safety device. (That is what was changed in the 75B.)

Do not ever carry this pistol, or any other for that matter, with the hammer in the half-cock position. It is only there to catch the hammer, should it accidentally slip from your thumb while drawing it back to full cock. The half-cock notch on the hammer is quite weak and can not withstand any hard impact to the hammer. It was never meant to do that.

Yes, the pistol can fire if dropped. If the muzzle strikes a hard surface, the momentum can carry the firing pin forward and fire the round in the chamber. Not too dangerous, but very likely to damage the barrel. If the hammer is down and strikes a hard surface, it can fire. This is because the hammer does not rest solidly against the slide, but the firing pin retention plate has a little bit of movement and this could cause the firing pin to move and strike the primer. The slide can also move due to an impact, disturbing the hammer and causing a gap and firing pin movement. It has happened and some fatalities have resulted. This is why CZ changed the design to the 75B layout with FPB.

With the hammer at full cock, the direction of impact is not likely to be upwards, in the same direction the hammer swings, but rather forward, towards the hammer axis pin, resulting in very little stress or chance of breakage on the sear. It is indeed possible, but the chances of the pistol firing due to a drop is slightly less. Is it perfectly safe? Definitely not. But it is the safest mode of carry with this particular pistol. Empty chamber is not really an option.

To carry cocked&locked takes some training and practise. Don't take any shortcuts, do it right from the start. If the risk causes you to worry, good. You need to be much more carefull and aware with this carry mode.

To be perfectly safe, you will need to change to a mordern pistol with FPB safety. If you are a one-brand type, a CZP10C would be a good choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    No. ThIS CZ75, and all other modern hammer fired pistols have enertial firing pins, so from the hammer down position, an impact on the hammer will not cause the weapon to fire.
    A strike to the hammer on a stationary pistol may or may not fire the pistol. This depends on the free play in the firing pin retention plate and the amount of movement it allows. A small fraction of a millimetre of movement may be enough to send the inertial firing pin forward.

However, this is an unlikely scenario. Much more likely is the pistol getting dropped and landing on the hammer and or tang area. (It happened to me twice, due to a stupid shoulder holster I was using at the time. Fortunately it landed on a soft surface.) If the pistol drops and the tang (or any other part of the frame) hits a hard surface, the slide is very likely to move rearward from the impact, disturbing the solid rest of the hammer and making some space for the firing pin to move. If the hammer then makes contact with anything, it will definitely fire. That is the scary part...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast