Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: CZ 75 Pre-B 1986 Model-Half Cock Position

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 View Post
    Cocked and locked is the way to go, there are no detrimental effects except normal wear.The FA is about 33 yrs old, springs etc., need to be changed when necessary.
    All the springs were changed prior to purchase before the long wait started to get here today told to me by the shop's Owner..even though i am planning to get 2 additional sets of springs including 2 slide pin stops as well as an extra SP 01 magazine(18+1 round's) as FA only came with one mag..

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    My first gun was a pre-B CZ75. It is one of the best pistols I ever owned. I am also very glad I don't need to EDC it any more. They don't come with a FPB safety device. (That is what was changed in the 75B.)

Do not ever carry this pistol, or any other for that matter, with the hammer in the half-cock position. It is only there to catch the hammer, should it accidentally slip from your thumb while drawing it back to full cock. The half-cock notch on the hammer is quite weak and can not withstand any hard impact to the hammer. It was never meant to do that.

Yes, the pistol can fire if dropped. If the muzzle strikes a hard surface, the momentum can carry the firing pin forward and fire the round in the chamber. Not too dangerous, but very likely to damage the barrel. If the hammer is down and strikes a hard surface, it can fire. This is because the hammer does not rest solidly against the slide, but the firing pin retention plate has a little bit of movement and this could cause the firing pin to move and strike the primer. The slide can also move due to an impact, disturbing the hammer and causing a gap and firing pin movement. It has happened and some fatalities have resulted. This is why CZ changed the design to the 75B layout with FPB.

With the hammer at full cock, the direction of impact is not likely to be upwards, in the same direction the hammer swings, but rather forward, towards the hammer axis pin, resulting in very little stress or chance of breakage on the sear. It is indeed possible, but the chances of the pistol firing due to a drop is slightly less. Is it perfectly safe? Definitely not. But it is the safest mode of carry with this particular pistol. Empty chamber is not really an option.

To carry cocked&locked takes some training and practise. Don't take any shortcuts, do it right from the start. If the risk causes you to worry, good. You need to be much more carefull and aware with this carry mode.

To be perfectly safe, you will need to change to a mordern pistol with FPB safety. If you are a one-brand type, a CZP10C would be a good choice.
    Thanks A-R for the reply,i really like your first sentence to your reply to me"My first gun was a pre-B CZ75. It is one of the best pistols I ever owned"..This is also my first one & one that i will never part with,so much history & hard to come by nowadays if you lucky in a wow condition as mine,also like the "Made in Czechoslovakia'' you don't see that much very often in today's modern world,made in a time when i was still a kid always dreaming of owning one..Anyways yes,i will buy a second one in future should the finances allow,,maybe a CZ PO 3,,or the CZ P10C like you mentioned,maybe..does the P10C have a safety like mine or is it an copy of the Glock,safety between your ears & finger/trigger-control?

I got mine new in 1988, I have not had the slide stop break. The shadow 1 mags work fine in mine.

As for a floating or inertia firing pin, the concern isn’t a smack from the rear of the gun, but rather the front.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

The first CZ 75's to arrive in SA did not have half cock notches which caused some problems for guys who carried hammer down.One of the guys managed to bump the hammer on the edge of a table and was rewarded with a hole in his leg.The guns were not blued but had a paint finish to hide the flaws in the castings.
    IF you ever loose the "ping gone"under the safety catch a 1911 mag follower is just the right thickness for making a new one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    Thanks A-R for the reply,i really like your first sentence to your reply to me"My first gun was a pre-B CZ75. It is one of the best pistols I ever owned"..This is also my first one & one that i will never part with,so much history & hard to come by nowadays if you lucky in a wow condition as mine,also like the "Made in Czechoslovakia'' you don't see that much very often in today's modern world,made in a time when i was still a kid always dreaming of owning one..Anyways yes,i will buy a second one in future should the finances allow,,maybe a CZ PO 3,,or the CZ P10C like you mentioned,maybe..does the P10C have a safety like mine or is it an copy of the Glock,safety between your ears & finger/trigger-control?
    The primary safety on ALL guns sits between the shooters ears.

On a defensive gun, the need to disengage a safety lever before you can engage a bunch of BG's has never been considered a good idea. This is why DA revolvers were invented more than 100 years ago, and why they were so popular till fairly recently. And except for the odd freak, none of them ever had a manual safety lever. Also, nobody considers them unsafe to carry, despite this "omission". That should tell you something about the "need" for external safety levers.

Modern defensive pistols have developed to the point where they are just as safe as DA revolver, and in many cases even more safe. This was not achieved by adding external levers that required manipulation, but by making the whole mechanism more fool-proof. The only reason why you need to engage the safety lever on a cocked CZ75, is because of the sensitive single action trigger. When the hammer is down, the safety can not even be engaged, but you can still fire the pistol by simply pulling the trigger. Just the same as a DA revolver, Glock etc. The only problem is that the CZ75 was ahead of it's time and the FPB safety had not yet become the norm when the pistol was designed.

My point is, a safety lever is a hinderance to defensive shooting, not an aid. Try to get away from it for a defensive gun.

Sport shooting is a different matter. When you eventually manage to get a modern defensive pistol to replace your 75, it will still serve you very well as a sports gun.

User

So, how high must I drop it on the muzzle so that the bullet go off? Assume stock standard CZ75 circa 1979. One in the chamber and hammer down.

Seriously, not being funny now, I am really interested to know.

User

Probably not all that high... as the saying goes, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end...

The deceleration even from 0.5m onto concrete is in the 100s, if not 1000s of g's

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    So, how high must I drop it on the muzzle so that the bullet go off? Assume stock standard CZ75 circa 1979. One in the chamber and hammer down.

Seriously, not being funny now, I am really interested to know.
    Wilson Combat has done extensive tests with 1911's that don't have firing pin blocks. If memory serves they found that 3 - 4 yards (almost 4 meters) wasn't enough. I know...1911's aren't CZ 75's. They built a jig to enable them to repeatedly drop the gun in a specified position. They eventually made some of them go bang, but they had to go up to almost 9 yards. (They still make 1911's with no fpb's...)

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The primary safety on ALL guns sits between the shooters ears.

On a defensive gun, the need to disengage a safety lever before you can engage a bunch of BG's has never been considered a good idea. This is why DA revolvers were invented more than 100 years ago, and why they were so popular till fairly recently. And except for the odd freak, none of them ever had a manual safety lever. Also, nobody considers them unsafe to carry, despite this "omission". That should tell you something about the "need" for external safety levers.

Modern defensive pistols have developed to the point where they are just as safe as DA revolver, and in many cases even more safe. This was not achieved by adding external levers that required manipulation, but by making the whole mechanism more fool-proof. The only reason why you need to engage the safety lever on a cocked CZ75, is because of the sensitive single action trigger. When the hammer is down, the safety can not even be engaged, but you can still fire the pistol by simply pulling the trigger. Just the same as a DA revolver, Glock etc. The only problem is that the CZ75 was ahead of it's time and the FPB safety had not yet become the norm when the pistol was designed.

My point is, a safety lever is a hinderance to defensive shooting, not an aid. Try to get away from it for a defensive gun.

Sport shooting is a different matter. When you eventually manage to get a modern defensive pistol to replace your 75, it will still serve you very well as a sports gun.
    Thanks for your response A-R:" When the hammer is down, the safety can not even be engaged, but you can still fire the pistol by simply pulling the trigger. Just the same as a DA revolver, Glock etc.''..This is want i am planning to do to carry sooner than later with a heck of a lot of practice with some snap-caps//dummy rounds,i will get around to test with a primed case only for sure or even a couple to test function my FA,this boils down to a VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR:Know your FA & don't assume it will react exactly the same as your friend's friend that might have the same FA as u might have,and only go on hearsay advice..I might even consider a Glock 48 or something similar as a second FA with time,I am though a CZ follower with all heart content no offence to different owner's out there,each to there own,i don't think it's an bad idea after all to know both platforms" Striker-fire & hammer" since hammer action are so much fewer today,don't know that maybe even in the future they might become obsolete & collector's item's,this is only an thought i am having not a fact..How is the CZ P10 by the way,is it an good buy for a back-up like me down the line,or is the Glock still the father of Striker-Fire,i am not comparing anything here,..just opinion's are welcome..Remember my CZ goes nowhere..only to the range for some shooting etc..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast