Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Getting your head in the game....

Hi,

Shot about 8 x IPSC competitions and train about once a week on steel plates and targets etc....did 2 years military service including 18 months in Nam and love guns and everything to do with reloading etc....BUT....as soon as that buzzer goes off its like you just pushed the reset button on your PC I forget the layout of the shoot...leave out targets...shoot targets more than twice....lets not even talk about counting rounds while shooting...I only change mags when the slide locks back
    when I actual do engage targets I do fairly well and got a 4th in my class in the last shoot Having played provincial racquet sports for a few years I know it takes a few games before your nerves settle but this brain freeze seems to be permanent I'm not scared to fire the gun or nervous around guns its more a feeling of nervous excitement ...not sure if this makes sense? It is slightly better if I just slow down and try get all alphas and stop worrying about my time but when i speed up it becomes 10 times worse...

Any advice would be appreciated..

Default Re: Getting your head in the game....

Lol. The “make you stupid machine”, aka shot timer.

I found good advice in Lanny Bassham’s book, “With winning in mind”, and also in Ben Stoeger’s books.

But visualising your stage beforehand, every step, every turn, every sight picture on every target, every reload, and then having that replay as a movie in your mind when you shoot, is basically what you’re after.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Have a look on Youtube, there are a lot of sport specific mental management coaches that put up videos (This helped me a lot when I had the time).

As a quick fix, shoot higher level competitions, it settles you for the smaller shoots.
    Also have a look at how you are training. If you only train slow and then push at a match, it will have this effect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Have a look on Youtube, there are a lot of sport specific mental management coaches that put up videos (This helped me a lot when I had the time).

As a quick fix, shoot higher level competitions, it settles you for the smaller shoots.
    Also have a look at how you are training. If you only train slow and then push at a match, it will have this effect.
    Yes I only train slow So I might need to invest in a shot timer...tried using the app on my phone doing a draw and fire at 10 meters in 1.9 seconds but it's erratic...did some formal training some time back but it was for experienced shooters and I felt like a real twot.... and the hammer bite on the HP was so bad that my hand started bleeding... but thanks for the advise I'll start to speed up my personal training sessions

User

Quote Originally Posted by M80BHP View Post
    Yes I only train slow So I might need to invest in a shot timer...tried using the app on my phone doing a draw and fire at 10 meters in 1.9 seconds but it's erratic...did some formal training some time back but it was for experienced shooters and I felt like a real twot.... and the hammer bite on the HP was so bad that my hand started bleeding... but thanks for the advise I'll start to speed up my personal training sessions
    A timer is nice, but it's not crucial in the beginning.
    Have a look at the "Changing Gears Drill", it forces you to think about your shots.
    Don't just focus on shooting fast, incorporate movement into your training, get your brain doing more than one thing.

Hope it helps

User

Try shooting without walking the stage then! It would not give you an edge, but will be like Ipsc with a twist.
    If you are a serious gamer, take out 5k and attend the two day course on movement in Ipsc presented by that good looking USA chick who’s name I can not remember.
    BigT is involved with the course from this side of the pond.

User

I consulted a stranger called Google:

Kita Busse , its in October, takes two days and costs R7500- which translates to $500.

User

Its a learned skill that you need to acquire, if you hone it enough, you should be able to navigate most stages with your eyes closed when your are on standby. Do one last walkthrough in your head before giving the RO the ok to start. You also need to practice doing stuff fast

Look into the Steve Anderson podcasts

User

1. Before you do a stage, do you do a few (at least four if possible) physical walkthroughs of the shoot ?
    2. After the physical walkthroughs, do you see if you can replay the shoot in your head ?
    3. Get a timer!
    4. Where are you situated ? Maybe you can shoot a competition with someone experienced who can guide you ?

User

I am much the same, have shot about 10 club shoots this year. I was on an upward graph with results, then obviously stagnated, and then dropped again, because I didn't dryfire at all for about 3 weeks.

I also do no live fire training and only shoot matches, I hope to get more time in on all of those, but life is a just a little tough at the moment and I have to focus on that for a bit, then get back into it full steam again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast