Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Ok so the next question has to be WHY?

Is this an investment, an experiment or a I want a custom rifle just to have one.

I believe that this will cost you upwards of R 100k and unless the maker has a reputation that can sustain a resell of R 100k or more it become an exercise in futility.
    Purely curiosity, having read the multiple posts on this forum of having a rifle built.

Default Re: Price of a "custom" rifle.

An option is to build your own from and established barreled action.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Ok so the next question has to be WHY?

Is this an investment, an experiment or a I want a custom rifle just to have one.

I believe that this will cost you upwards of R 100k and unless the maker has a reputation that can sustain a resell of R 100k or more it become an exercise in futility.
    You are correct. SA build customs rifles are like diamond rings, nice to have and look at, but worth less than you paid for it. This is purely on secondhand value I am making the statement.

a CZ Classic African Safari with custom shop wood, diamond like coating is a R100k at S&O. This is good turkish walnut, expert fitted barrel and nicer metal coating but for the rest a stock CZ550 magnum rifle, that cost otherwise R25k.

a Entry level Rigby, the Big Game PH, starts at £7695 delivered at they London base shop, prior to import etc. I looked at that, even phoned the shop, but the lefthand model only comes in the comes in the Londons Best model, costing £27000, way out of my budget.

Building with a USA custom grade barreled action is also not cheap. $5000 for a lefthand Granite Mountain Arms K98 action with profiled barrel etc. Would have costed at least another 1000$ to land here plus 50k for a custom high end walnut stock by a reputable stockmaker. This I have got an actual quote of for in January. All and all custom built 416 Rigby Lefthand control feed mauser copy action.

So I went the calibre change route. Bought a Sako 75 lefthand for a bargain, the owner needed cash. I then bought a Truvelo 22” barrel. Gerrie Coetzee of Gerrie Coetzee Cudtom Rifles, wanted to fit a walnut stock of a high grade, but I said I can only afford a locally manufactured synthetic stock.
    Not a typical custom built, but still an a custom built, barrel profile and stock, chosen by me, costed R49k. With a walnut stock- R72k.

Would I have done this if I were right handed, no, a 25k CZ would have done the job. But LH CZ550 are no longer being imported.

User

I looked into this in 2017. Sabi rifles quoted me 40k for a 458 Lott, 60k for a 505 Gibbs and 70k for a 500 Jeff, left handed versions. The other thing which made a big difference in my decision was how long it would take to build, essentially it was gonna be minimum a year from order to collection, providing no cfr hassles. I wasn't willing to wait that long, not that I had the funds for those prices anyway

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

There are hundreds of really good YouTube video's that explain making a stock and or finishing a 96% inletted stock.

Go visit Richards Microfit Stocks and you can choose the level of figure you can afford in your Walnut. Don't take the Rosewood tips but the ebony. I took the Rosewood, not that clever.

Locate a suitable action and get a barrel cut.

Fit your own stock, bed you own rifle then enjoy the satisfaction that brings.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Very interesting, thanks.

User

I believe a "decent quality" commercial rifle will be as good, and a lot cheaper than a low budget 'custom' rifle. As mentioned before, some very good remington, winchester and CZ rifles can be had brand new for under R30K... it just does not make sense then, to spend R60K+ for an entry level rifle of similar finish levels... the only thing it will add is the bragging rights that it is a custom...

My 2cent opinion is that, if you go custom, you pull out the stops, get a very good action, a very good barrel, and best stock grade you can afford. Make it worth your while.

yes, left handers are a different story, and you might want/need to look for a commercial that is available, so you might need to go custom...

Banned

Why don't you phone and ask Alan Henry from Natal Gun company?
    Custom big bore rifles are his bread and butter line

User

Custom rifle..all bells and whistles, is a costly item..Johan Greyling ( 0827010652) builds working rifles..a standard action Mauser 98 , Walter barrel, nice American Black wall nut stock..feeding smoothly..for R25 000..with the difficulties we experienced with the CFR who delayed to register bought Walter barrels we had a problem to get the rifles on the register..thankfully this is sorted out and it seems there is progress at CFR again..somebody is taking their work seriously..Contact Johan Greyling and discuss this topic with him..he jas working 404 Jeffery rifles available...

Since I am bringing in a 8x68S and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser reamers , the option will be to have these two calibers build as well as long as the two reamers is functional ..and there are orders for these two calibers..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Custom rifle..all bells and whistles, is a costly item..Johan Greyling ( 0827010652) builds working rifles..a standard action Mauser 98 , Walter barrel, nice American Black wall nut stock..feeding smoothly..for R25 000..with the difficulties we experienced with the CFR who delayed to register bought Walter barrels we had a problem to get the rifles on the register..thankfully this is sorted out and it seems there is progress at CFR again..somebody is taking their work seriously..Contact Johan Greyling and discuss this topic with him..he jas working 404 Jeffery rifles available...

Since I am bringing in a 8x68S and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser reamers , the option will be to have these two calibers build as well as long as the two reamers is functional ..and there are orders for these two calibers..
    This is good to know, I like the term working rifle. And the 404 Jeff needs know introduction..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast