Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default .308 advice and discussion

Hello Everyone

I have just bought my first ever hunting rifle.
    It is a Sauer 100 classic .308 Winchester.

Which scope must i buy? I would like to spend about R7000.00 or less, but i will spend more if need be.
    I am mainly going to be hunting in the bushveld.
    I was thinking of the Leupold VX2 3-9x40. Or is the VX2 3-9x50 better? (can get one for about R6500-R7000).

Also which bullets must i buy, grain and brand? I was thinking Barnes 165/168g TTSX .308

And which gun case must i buy? (hard or soft case, which will fit in the car easily etc)Attachment 30563

And which shoulder strap for the rifle must i buy? leather synthetic etc

And where do i buy all of this stuff.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Luke N
    Jhb, SA.

.308.JPG

Default Re: .308 advice and discussion

Nice rifle, congrats.

I don’t have personal experience with Leupoldt. For optics I trust Nikon a lot, but I suppose the brands are a personal thing.

As to the scope itself, for bushveld hunting a 3-9 is perfect. The difference between a 40mm and 50mm objective lens comes in when shooting in low light. The 50mm gathers more light, and therefore gives you a better picture in the scope. A 40mm allows you to mount the scope lower, though, which may result in a better cheek weld, which is far more preferable than the slight benefit you might get from the bigger lens.

As to bullets, are you loading your own? If so, go trawl through the reloading forum for bullet characteristics. The mono bullets (like the Barnes) are longer than lead-based bullets for the same calibre and weight, so you might have stabilisation issues, although I doubt a modern .308 will have issues with those.

Gun case, again, a personal preference thing. Do you have the space to transport a hard-case the whole time?

Slings, I liked the look of a leather sling, but my rifle is rather heavy and a synthetic sling eventually made more sense as it was much more comfortable.

Don’t take it too fast, read, learn, go on hunts, chat to fellow hunters (but don’t take anything as gospel), and then build up your own idea of what you like and want.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

And please stop posting the same thread in multiple subforums.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Morning Luke, beaut of a rifle congratulations! I have the Leupold VX 3-9 x 40mm on my 7x57 and it's perfect for my needs (Mainly bushveld hunting). Very nice glass.

Sling, I have a butler creek sling as that was what the gun shop had in stock. Padded and comfortable I must admit.

Bag, I have soft, well padded bag - easier to transport in the car, easier to take on hunting vehicle then a hard case.

Bullets is a huge topic in itself - search the forums as a start I think.

User

Congrats. Nice rifle.

Either of the Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or the VX2 3-9x50 will be suitable. I personally prefer the x40 for reasons explained by Skaaphaas.

When it comes to ammo you will have to experiment a bit to see what your gun likes. If I had a 308 then I'd also be thinking 165/168 grain

I travel to the farm with a hard case as it provides a little extra protection. I use the soft case once on the farm.

Shoulder strap is a matter of preference. It's not a make or break item provided that it is strong and comfortable.

You are starting off with your first rifle and may need a few other items so shop around. I'd decide what I want and then ask the various shops to give me a quote on my basket of goods. There are a number of retailers you can try including Camdix, Dave Sheer, Safari & Outdoor etc

An item that you should consider buying at the outset which will aid your shooting is a set of good quality shooting sticks. I shoot most of my game off the sticks and they help me a lot. When I venture into more open country I also take my rangefinder along.

Hello Dimitri

Thank you for your wonderful response.
    Can you by any chance recommend which type/s of shooting sticks i should buy? bi-pod or tri-pod? 2 or 3 legs?
    Any advice will help.. Brand, type, where to buy etc.
    Do you normally let the tracker carry your sticks for you when you are walking through the bushveld?

Thank you DaavG i really appreciate it

Hello Skaaphaas.

Thank you very much for your response.
    You have given me some very valuable information.
    Much appreciated.
    thanks

Hello again

Will a Leupold 2.5-8x36................. be as good as Leupold 3-9x40 ?

I can get a Leupold VX2 3-9X40 for R6480 (brand new in unsealed box)
    or
    I can get a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 for R5000 (brand new in opened box, but pre owned - never fitted to a rifle before, purchased from safari outdoor )

Any suggestions? which is better?

That is a nice rifle so put decent glass on it. VX3 and go for the 40mm objective. They are different quality standards with the VX3 being better than the VX2.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast