Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Advice? Leupold 3-9X40 versus 2.5-8X36

You won't see an actual difference in hunting scenarios between 36mm and 40mm. Lower high-end magnification on the 36mm makes the difference even more negligible. I wouldn't worry about it.

For a hunting rifle, if I had to choose, I'd take the VX3 2.5-8x36.

Banned

After looking through both scopes, I'd take the VX 3, there is a difference in quality when you look through them

Banned

But whichever you go for, they both come with a lifetime guarantee and you don't hear of many people complaining about any Leupold scopes

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    But whichever you go for, they both come with a lifetime guarantee and you don't hear of many people complaining about any Leupold scopes
    I concur, Leopold offers great , great service, I send an old scope to them for a friend , the scope `s glasses became unclear...send it with a return hunter and friend ...Leopold serviced the scope and did some upgrades on it..no charge at all, scope will be back on the 14 th July...the same can be said of most high end companies in the USA when it comes to backing their product..

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I concur, Leopold offers great , great service, I send an old scope to them for a friend , the scope `s glasses became unclear...send it with a return hunter and friend ...Leopold serviced the scope and did some upgrades on it..no charge at all, scope will be back on the 14 th July...the same can be said of most high end companies in the USA when it comes to backing their product..
    I also had the same excellent service from Leopold. Many years ago When Jo v d Lierde had VLT arms I had problems with a VX 11 3-9 X 40 Leopold. It was dispatched to the USA and they refurbished the scope, replaced internal parts, etc at no cost. Not even postage. I later sold the scope to a friend ( to mount on a 270 W) and up to today he has not had any problems with it.

User

VX-3 for me.

So the 3-9x40mm has an exit pupil of 13.3 to 4.44
    The 2.5-8x36mm has an exit pupil ranging from 14.4 to 4.5

So although marginal, the latter actually has slightly bigger exit pupils (better, but your eyes will not be able to resolve this difference). The glass is better so it is a no brainer. The one thing you must do now that you have a smaller objective is to try get the scope as low as possible so that you improve cheek weld and bring the axis of the barrel and the scope closer together.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2