Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Australia - they do not clean their guns these parts.

3 guns shops two towns 5 shooters, same answer - "awe yea ya gotta clean it mate".So, how often do you guys clean your rifles ?? , " Yea yea je don wanna go ruining je barrel cleaning it all the time mate 6/700 rounds e good to go", Really ??. " yeaaa, je don wanna go flogging the bejesus outa it ey ?, 600 shots ye good te go yea".
    I really got the impression of bullets are bullets, do not over think it, not much of a big interest discuss it subject. Guys are mostly happy to shoot a A4 page at 200 m and go hunting if they hit the page. 100m sighting in seems not a consideration - scopes are set at 200m.
    General attitude is it works, its good enough, it what we all use.
    Perhaps my test group was too small, perhaps its just this area, but rifles seem to be no big deal, buy it use it.
    Oh !!!!! One more thing - big scopes Big Scopes, fix's it all.

User

Default Re: Australia - they do not clean their guns these parts.

I know a few from SA. 1500-2000 rounds a year and cleans twice, perhaps three times a year. Their rifles shoot as well at the start of the competition as the end. I can't explain it.

Then again, if it's stupid but it works, it's not that stupid.

User

Reasonably common in the Free state to clean a rifle at least every 2 or 3 years and the seem to still be able to shoot headshots at about 200m. Few guys that shoot 1000-2000 rounds before cleaning and get fantastic groups.

User

I don't clean till I absolutely have to, ie: my groups open up. My AR I'll probably clean my barrel around 10k. The rest of the gun I clean after each range session.
    My handgun I keep totally clean.

User

My view on the topic is the same as a service on a car.
    You don’t service your car the day it goes wrong, you service it so that it does not go wrong.

My rifles gets cleaned thoroughly regularly, everything except removing the action, that only gets done once or twice a year. I clean the rifle, barrel, chamber, on the Howa’s with the easy assembly bolt I also check the firing pin and spring.

My rifles never malfunction, they work, pull a trigger on a round and it fires, operate the bolt and it cycles.

Not cleaning, in my view, is not knowing, whenever you clean a rifle you know what state it’s in, with no cleaning you simply have no idea.

I would find it quite disheartening to know my rifle has shot over 100 rounds without cleaning it, nevermind 5/600 :)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Then there is also the matter of HOW you actually clean the barrel. A quick wipe and a thorough clean is not the same thing. You know how many people have never even heard of copper solvent?

User

My apologies, I was under the impression we were talking about barrel cleaning. Above mentioned friends and acquaintances cleans bolts, chambers, bolt lugs and recesses after every day's shooting. Rifles are also stored in a safe with a dehumidifier permanently running.

My own habit: When I hunt for a week I do not clean the barrel during that time. I do however inspect the rifle at the end of each day to see if the barrel is free of what ever and then wipe the metal parts with some Ballistol. Wasps have a nasty habit of building their mud nests in small holes including your barrel or trigger area. I can not claim it as a fact but the Ballistol seems to keep them away. When I return home the barrel and working parts are cleaned.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Then there is also the matter of HOW you actually clean the barrel. A quick wipe and a thorough clean is not the same thing. You know how many people have never even heard of copper solvent?
    That is the case here now with brother, never heard of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast