Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Advice for first Semi-Auto please

Hi everyone, I need some advice please. I want to buy my first Semi-Auto rifle. I know the first question that you will ask me is what do I want to use it for. Honestly, I don't really know yet, I guess my "gat jeuk"

Unfortunately I'm not currently in a position to visit the range every weekend and spend hours there. I have dedicated status through Natshoot and my SLR Competency. I don't yet have any S16 licences (1 x S13 & 3 x S15). I also don't currently participate in any particular sport shooting discipline, I do the required postal shoots as well as other activities as required by NHSA to keep my dedicated status.

I have been doing some reading and originally fancied the S&W M&P 15-22. My reasoning for that was I could use the ".22" as an excuse for the Mrs that I will use it to teach the kids etc etc... However I have recently started looking at the S&W M&P15 Sport II thinking if I go through the hassle I might as well do it properly. I have no idea what I need to look out for w.r.t. specs etc.

My budget is around R20k and like I said I won't be shooting it every weekend unfortunately.

User

Default Re: Advice for first Semi-Auto please

I have just bought a DPMS Oracle from TacHQ for 11k. Steal imo.

If you get that, theres 9k left over for ammo :P ( I also got for 1000 rounds for 7k from them). That leaves u with 2k left for pop up sites. Or spend less on ammo get an entry level RDS.

With the hassles of licensing Semi Auto's I would just go for .223/5.56 and be done with it.

User

What calibres do you currently load for?

My vote would be for a CZ Scorpion. The current deals on them are really cheap and under 20k.
    Can be shot in PCC and Dmg with SADPA.

But that dpms for 11k is also a very good deal.

User

if i could go back i would get a scorpion
    load one shot for range

now i have to save up again

User

If i had a PCC i know i would shoot it a hell of a lot more than my AR..

Bellum Arcus have some interesting parts build that would suit that budget. Maybe give them a try.

My first semi auto was a Norinco CQA. I also wasn't sure what semi to get and the CQA was on special and I took it.
    Do you want to customize your gun with optics etc? Is so, an AR 15 might work but can get expensive.
    If you don't want to customize your rifle that much, a Norinco type 56 is going for roughly 9k and you still have plenty change for ammo

User

SWAMBO enjoys my 15/22 almost as much as I do. It is fun and cheap to shoot. But then again, she also likes shooting the Scorpion. If you rope her in, you can get both of them, and then an AR :) I really depends on what you want to do with it. Different guns for different disciplines. Just know that you are going to appeal to get a license approved, so bank on waiting a year to get the gun, so start now

User

I have a 15-22 and some other slr's. To reload 223 is a pain in my arse and expensive. .22LR ammo is close to the same price as reloaded 9mmP. My next rifle will be a PCC , probably a Ruger as I have enough Clock mags. With a Pcc you can shoot rifle (up to a point), mini rifle, maybe certain handgun matches and steel challenges

User

@Kev123

Could you please supply contact details and address for TacHQ. I have used Google and my GoogleFu simply cannot get any details on them...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev123 View Post
    I have just bought a DPMS Oracle from TacHQ for 11k. Steal imo.

If you get that, theres 9k left over for ammo :P ( I also got for 1000 rounds for 7k from them). That leaves u with 2k left for pop up sites. Or spend less on ammo get an entry level RDS.

With the hassles of licensing Semi Auto's I would just go for .223/5.56 and be done with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast