Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default .45ACP 1911 style handgun- what weight recoil spring?

The 1911 can be fitted with a number of different power recoil springs. At the moment mine is loaded with Hornady Critical defence ammo.
    (I should add that the f/arm is a Para Ordnance frame, Caspian slide, Colt barrel if that could be relevant.)
    What spring powers are available for the 1911, and when is it best to use each of them?
    Without knowing why, I just bought an 18 lb one, but is that the right thing or not?
    Hoping someone here can share some ideas.
    Thanks,
    Rod

User

Default Re: .45ACP 1911 style handgun- what weight recoil spring?

For regular power ammo 16lbs is a good starting point for a 1911 .45ACP, for +p I would say 18lbs or so.

My 1911 has a 14lbs spring, but I also use a non radius Firing Pin Stop, which reduces the slide velocity a little. I only use it for sport though and my 230gr reloads, at around 850fps

User

Thanks Stevin!
    Do you mind telling me where you get your spares?
    Do people switch the springs around when using different power loads and for different purposes?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrage View Post
    Thanks Stevin!
    Do you mind telling me where you get your spares?
    Do people switch the springs around when using different power loads and for different purposes?
    I buy them all over hey, bought a bit of things from Brownells, and Speed Shooters International. Locally you can try MRST, Rescomp, Frontier Guns and I saw Spartan also had a bunch of BUL 1911 spares last time I was there.

User

Thanks a lot mate!
    You say your's is a "non radius" FPS- is that the same as a "flat bottom"?
    I didn't realise that fitting one of these or a "small radius" would have such an influence on the set up, but it certainly seems the way to go before swopping with the recoil springs.

User

Yeah, I have EGW Flat Bottom Firing Pin stops in both my 1911's. The theory is that the extra force needed to cock the hammer slows the slide enough to need less of recoil spring weight.

Just make sure that if you go Flat Bottom FPS that you use a regular power Main Spring (or hammer spring), I can't remember off the top of my head what it the weight is, as that is also one of the ingredients of using the flat fps.

I'm not sure if it's just he FPS or all the components working together, but my gun definitely has a softer feeling recoil impulse with this compared to the original setup.

User

Great info, thanks again!

User

Stevin is 100% here. I also use EGW Flat Bottom Firing Pin stops, tungsten guide rods and light springs in .40 and 45ACP 1911 type guns. You can go even lower than 14 lbs if you want to. The recoil spring's main (only) function is to cycle the slide, not keep the gun locked. The hammer spring is of far more importance here and the flat firing pin stop slows the slide down significantly.
    Some fascinating info on this topic:
    https://rangehot.com/firing-1911-wit...nothing-broke/

User

Very interesting read Samizat, thanks!
    Where will I find a EGW FPS locally?
    What strength hammer spring are you suggesting and with what hammer- skeleton, standard spur, commander? I seem to think standard weight is 21 lbs, but with my commander hammer I am thinking 18lbs.

User

18lbs is fine. Competition shooters do experiment with lower poundages in order to get better trigger pulls but this can affect the reliability of primer ignition. Skeleton hammers can help improve a trigger pull if they are lighter than standard hammers.

EGW FPS : Brownells is the only source that I am aware of. Not many people use them but their use is slowly spreading.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast