Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default To Glock or not to Glock for a newbie.

Hi All,

Please HELP I need advice.

My competency certificate is at consideration and hopefully I will have feedback this week still.

Now my question is what FA to buy (it will be my first FA) I went to the shooting range Saturday to test fire a Glock 19 gen 3 and a CZ PO7.

Both fit my hand very well except for the aggressive grip of the PO7 that I do not like. I prefer the less aggressive grip of the G19 Gen3

I also like the recoil on the G19 more.

What I have hear and read is that you cannot go wrong with a Glock.

However, what holds me back from purchasing a G19 is at a club shooting evening of a well-known gun dealer (dealer provided the G19 and reloads) I saw the Glock struggling with reloads, with every single mag the gun jammed.

What reloads do you buy to prevent the gun from malfunctioning?

I really do not want to regret my decision.

Thanking you in advance.

User

Default Re: To Glock or not to Glock for a newbie.

You can buy Glock with confidence.

Rather reload your own than buying reloads, otherwise buy range ammo from S&B or Aguila and the like.

User

I heard Glocks only last about 5,000 rounds before the frame cracks. It's plastic, after all.

PS: That's a joke.

The guy at the shoot's Glock probably gave issues because he used cheap, shit ammunition. Like feeding your brand new Hilux the cheapest tractor diesel you can find and then getting upset when the injectors get blocked up. Feed your Glock the right ammo, treat it right and it'll go bang, each time, every time, most probably long past your lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Rather reload your own than buying reloads, otherwise buy range ammo from S&B or Aguila and the like.
    Baby steps first I will learn to reload later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The guy at the shoot's Glock probably gave issues because he used cheap, shit ammunition. Like feeding your brand new Hilux the cheapest tractor diesel you can find and then getting upset when the injectors get blocked up. Feed your Glock the right ammo, treat it right and it'll go bang, each time, every time, most probably long past your lifetime.
    I hear you but what is good range ammo for a reasonable price that will not jam all the time? I need/want to practice a lot and that can cost the same a a Hilux.

Buy a Glock.
    I have a glock 19 gen 5.

I use s&b and fiocci range ammo (cheapest I can find).
    I've had 2 misfires in about 1500 rounds.
    My gun has never jammed as you mention above.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DD_01 View Post
    I hear you but what is good range ammo for a reasonable price that will not jam all the time? I need/want to practice a lot and that can cost the same a a Hilux.
    Reload. It's the only option. If you want to blast a lot, you're going to have to pay for it. Reloading allows you to shoot 2~3 times more ammo for the same money, so you get a lot more trigger time. Otherwise buy factory ammo - S&B, PMP, Fiocci, etc. Even Nobleteq reloads are OK, but you might end up with QC issues. If that happens, take the ammo back and get a new box. It's a risk you'll have to take.

User

Having fired a fair amount of factory ammo, factory reloads and own reloads I can honestly say all have worked very well in my G17 and G19 Gen3's. Had an issue with some of my own reloads and a particular box of S&B primers, but otherwise never had any other ammo related issues and both have fed/cycled perfectly every time.

You won't be making a mistake with the G19 and all ammo available off the shelf should work perfectly.

I would hazard a guess that the G19 you saw having issues was probably magazine related, more than gun related, maybe worn out mags?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User

Get the G19. And try get it at a store that has a range so you can practice while you wait for 4-5 months.

If you want to practice a lot, remember you're only allowed 200 rounds maximum per license.
    And this includes any carry ammo down the line, so a full 15+1, and 2 spares are 46 rounds of the 200 already.

This also means that if you want to buy more for on the range you're limited to a store that comes with a range so you can buy and shoot it out so it doesn't count towards the 200.

I'd recommend you also look at acquiring Dedicated Sport Status via the NHSA.
    If you shoot 1 target 3 times a year at a range, you're already doing what is needed to maintain DSS through the NHSA so you might as well pay the membership and DSS fees, do the easy multiple choice online test and shoot the DSS target so you have unlimited ammo (yes, even if the G19 Gen 3 is on S13, DSS is for the person).

After you get DSS, benefit from the bulk 250rd Sellier & Bellot packs that some dealers sell for R1000 (basically R200 per 50), keep the brass for when you want to reload one day.

User

1. Go and join SADPA or IPSC.

2. Make some friends.

3. Mention the fact that you do not have equipment or reloading experience.

See all the people that will offer you help and assistance jump.

And you get to practice/play/compete with your firearm. And there are braais. And some trips to go shoot in exotic South African locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast