Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: To Glock or not to Glock for a newbie.

Oh yes, and you're going to be shooting a bit to shoot up the cost of a Hilux. It's not easy to do R500,000 worth of ammo. In fact, that's around 300,000 rounds of ammo if you reload. Around 100,000 if you shoot factory ammo. 100,000 rounds is A LOT. Some of our best shooters in the country are in those ranges (like BigT and so on).

When it comes to ammunition cheap almost never is good.

Cheap ammo is cheap, until it blows up your gun, then it isn't.

If you aren't going to reload yourself, buy factory made new ammunition. Not factory reloads.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by DD_01 View Post
    Hi All,

Please HELP I need advice.

My competency certificate is at consideration and hopefully I will have feedback this week still.

Now my question is what FA to buy (it will be my first FA) I went to the shooting range Saturday to test fire a Glock 19 gen 3 and a CZ PO7.

Both fit my hand very well except for the aggressive grip of the PO7 that I do not like. I prefer the less aggressive grip of the G19 Gen3

I also like the recoil on the G19 more.

What I have hear and read is that you cannot go wrong with a Glock.

However, what holds me back from purchasing a G19 is at a club shooting evening of a well-known gun dealer (dealer provided the G19 and reloads) I saw the Glock struggling with reloads, with every single mag the gun jammed.

What reloads do you buy to prevent the gun from malfunctioning?

I really do not want to regret my decision.

Thanking you in advance.
    I think you should look at a couple of other options nl: CZ P10C / M&P COMPACT / SIG SAUER etc. I know the Glocks are super reliable and have a legendary track record but maybe try a few more firearms and watch some YouTube reviews on different FA. I personally have the P10C and haven't had a days issues and I also have shot about 150 reloads before I actually realised S&B FMJ at Zimbi work out cheaper.

User

The problem with watching youtube is then you may think Taurus is a good option, Shit ammo (Diplopoint , Nobletec) will make any good gun tank,

Buy the Glock you are making a good choice.

User

Buy the glock. It will serve you well. Lots of aftermarket goodies available. Mags are cheap and available and does not give issues.

If you are not loading your own, buy factory. Sometimes it's just R20 or 30 more per 50 than reloads. New brass and good QC. Keep the brass for when you start loading.

I have been shooting competitively for a bit, every time I feel like a gun other than a Glock I just start noticing which guns give issues during matches...

NHSA is a good and cheap option for DSS - I'm a member, but you are on your own mostly - Kind of like playing golf on a Monday morning on your own, its ok, but can get boring quickly.
    IPSC / IDPA Its fun, with people. And addictive. If you intend on shooting lots with your pistol, this is where you will end up anyway, but you will kick yourself for wasting time getting there. And you probably bought stuff that you wish you didn't...

User

Hey there,

I'm in a slightly different situation where I have submitted my comp and waiting for the call/sms. The only difference is I purchased a Glock 19 as soon as I passed the comp training and haven't looked back. I have only had my Glock now for a month and shot 3 times with it and I am so happy I chose it. At Tactical HQ in Fourways they sell 50 STV Scorpio 124GR rounds for R209.00

User

Quote Originally Posted by HENK1979 View Post
    I think you should look at a couple of other options nl: CZ P10C / M&P COMPACT / SIG SAUER etc. I know the Glocks are super reliable and have a legendary track record but maybe try a few more firearms and watch some YouTube reviews on different FA. I personally have the P10C and haven't had a days issues and I also have shot about 150 reloads before I actually realised S&B FMJ at Zimbi work out cheaper.
    All those are awesome firearms until you need a spare. Neither of those mentioned have all the spares readily available off the shelf in SA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    You can buy Glock with confidence.

Rather reload your own than buying reloads, otherwise buy range ammo from S&B or Aguila and the like.
    At Tactical HQ they have CZ made STV Scorpio 124 gr FMJ bullets for R209 / 50 or R3795 / 1000. Apparently it is good ammo. I have not tried it. Stay away from Maxxtech ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    At Tactical HQ they have CZ made STV Scorpio
    It's not made by CZ. It's made by STV in the Czech Republic and has a website ending in .cz.

Sounds to me my first correct choice was to post here and the second will be to buy a Glock. Reloading and joining IPSC / IDPA in order to get DSS is on the cards. I first need to get through the painful waiting period.

Any specials running currently on Glock that you are aware off?

Again thanks for all the advice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast