Thread: Stuck case

Default Stuck case

Something interesting happened this weekend. I've had some squibs in the past and would like to think I know what they feel and sound like.

In the middle of a stage the hammer on my shadow dropped and I'm sure the primer went off. The case was stuck in the chamber and only after I reminded myself the pistol is nothing more than a tool and I can manhandle it, I got it to extract. I was supprised to see that the bullet was still in the case and it looked like a complete round with a light strike on the primer. I disposed of the round, so I can't pull the bullet anymore.

Now I am wondering, since it was the first time I used Ginex primers, is it posible to get a "underpowered" primer that could deform the case to bulge outwards, but not set off the powder, or if I did load a round without powder, not have enough power to push the bullet out of the brass and into the barrel?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Stuck case

It could possibly be an issue that the case was not fully resized correctly and the round did not go fully into battery.
    As for an underpowered primer, no, pretty much they go off or they don't. Ones affected by oil or some other contamination can sometimes fizzle and cause a hangfire, but igniting the powder is normally all it would take to set the round off.

It's a pity you tossed the round, cause you could have tested the round after they fact by removing your barrel from your pistol and dropping the round into the chamber to see if it seats, a plunk test as it's often called.
    That would confirm the in or out of spec case for sure.
    Once the plunk test was done, you could have used an inertia hammer to remove the bullet and check if the case had any powder in.
    My guess is an out of spec case, or even possibly too long a COL resulting in the bullet hitting the grooves, keeping the round out of battery

Yes, pretty pissed at myself for chucking it. Only started thinking about it after the fact.

Was only the one round in about 200 trigger pulls for the day, so I'm thinking you are correct.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

User

Do you use a lot of picked up brass from the range or are you pedantic like some folk that refuses to load brass picked up from the range unless it's your specifically.
    There is a very popular brand of firearm out there that does not have a fully supported chamber and can cause a case to bulge enough to possibly cause FTF issues on a tight chambered gun if you don't fully resize the cases