User

Default Re-Licensing. Need some advise.

Hi Guys,

My license expires on the 20th of this month. (20/07/2019).

I've done all the paperwork exercises, paid the fees, etc etc beginning of March. So in other words, 137 days before it expires.

I received an SMS that my application is be-ing looked at. Then on the 21st of May, I received an SMS saying that my Competency Certificate has been approved, and I must wait for further instructions.

As of yet, I have not received any other communication. I've gone to my DFO, she briefly looked through her documents, and said she couldn't find anything. Her advice to me was, when the 20th comes around, I must just leave my firearm in the safe until it eventually gets sorted out?

What should I do?

Default Re: Re-Licensing. Need some advise.

Well if you have your current License and proof of renewing in time. I would use the firearm. As you have a valid license and valid proof you complied with renewal.

User

I may be wrong here, but IMO you applied in time. Carry and use as normal. Same as with a driver's licence. If you can prove you applied for renewal in time, you can use the expired card with the proof of application.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Well if you have your current License and proof of renewing in time. I would use the firearm. As you have a valid license and valid proof you complied with renewal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I may be wrong here, but IMO you applied in time. Carry and use as normal. Same as with a driver's licence. If you can prove you applied for renewal in time, you can use the expired card with the proof of application.

Yes, that is what I thought I'd do, but my DFO said that would be illegal.

User

Luckily the DFO isn't the law. I'd love to know what a lawyer has to say about this.

User

Your DFO is wrong!
    Your old licence remains valid until a decision is made on your renewals provided you handed in in time, which you did.
    Schedule 1 Transitional provisions. ACT 60/2000
    11(1)(d):
    "If an application for the renewal of a licence,permit,certificate or authorisation has been lodged within the period provided for in this section,the licence, permit...remains valid until the application is decided".

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Yes, that is what I thought I'd do, but my DFO said that would be illegal.
    Your DFO as many others are not very clued up on the law even though they think they are the law, without going into too much detail , keep carrying and just keep a copy of proof of application and you will be more than fine

User

Thank you for info guys, really appreciate it. GOSA also gave me some pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk