Default The Ultimate Lion Hunting Dog

Hi All

Thought id share this story, my family has a long heritage in Africa since the late 1700s/early 1800s and since then hunting has been a pivotal part of that, and as part of that a good hunting canine, funny enough every generation had a different notion to what is the best, but I believe the last 3 generations have found the perfect mix for our needs etc, although very uncommon. My grandfather is a very successful lion hunter and has hunted on behalf of the Rhodesian government for decades when there is human eating lions ( and predators in general) he has a great love for bull terriers but lost so many on hunts due to their, to put it bluntly stupidity, as they would corner a lion and then get either bitten or mauled to death. So he imported the finest bloodline miniature bull terrier he could from Ireland as he thought for once smaller is better, now he needed something with a bit of brains. He visited a neighbor farmer where he struck gold.. He saw how a small little jack russel was busy taking on a mamba very cleverly and with great precision. So the hunt began to get the biggest and most athletic jack russel he could lay his hands on. After a 2 year search he found it in the small town of Prieska, so the cross breeding between mini bully and jack russel began. A instant success story as with his first hunt he had a young lion male that was very elusive, the bully mixes took the scent and cornered him , the 3 mixes kept him cornered until the hunters could catch up and put the lion down. Till today we are breeding the mixes (for personal use and never selling as this is our pride and joy). We have hunted every type of dangerous animal with our mixes to great success .. yes this may not be your perfect hunting dog but this is surely ours

User

Default Re: The Ultimate Lion Hunting Dog

can you post some pictures
    have you ever look at paterdale terrier sounds like they could be useful outcross

Quote Originally Posted by top dog View Post
    have you ever look at paterdale terrier sounds like they could be useful outcross
    Bully 1.jpg

Will have the outoppie take better photos as they are with him on the farm, as you can see the evolution of the bully as the eyes are portruded more forward and closer vs on the side and quite far spaced on original bullies.

As for Paterdale Terriers no we haven't we have stuck to this recipe now for almost 40 years now and only breed F1s and never breed with 2 of the mixes as we have seen then too many distinctive traits are lost

Quote Originally Posted by top dog View Post
    montie 1.jpgMontie 2.jpg

Interesting looking dog breed Simonsmal! I have a PH mate who says jack russels are too stupid/brazen and lost all of them to caracals maninly plus other dangerous game.

He uses fox terriers which he much prefers and has yet to lose one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Interesting looking dog breed Simonsmal! I have a PH mate who says jack russels are too stupid/brazen and lost all of them to caracals maninly plus other dangerous game.

He uses fox terriers which he much prefers and has yet to lose one.
    Im sure that could also work, as mentioned my toppie lost a lot of full size bullies but also yet to lose 1 BulRus as he calls them, I have never attempted hunting with a Jack Russel on its own so cant comment but what ive seen with small vermin they are pretty decent

Maybe we should try our hand at a bully fox terrier cross .. but my thats gonna be 1 ugly doggo might frighten the predators to death ... who knows

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmal View Post
    Hi All

Thought id share this story, my family has a long heritage in Africa since the late 1700s/early 1800s and since then hunting has been a pivotal part of that, and as part of that a good hunting canine, funny enough every generation had a different notion to what is the best, but I believe the last 3 generations have found the perfect mix for our needs etc, although very uncommon. My grandfather is a very successful lion hunter and has hunted on behalf of the Rhodesian government for decades when there is human eating lions ( and predators in general) he has a great love for bull terriers but lost so many on hunts due to their, to put it bluntly stupidity, as they would corner a lion and then get either bitten or mauled to death. So he imported the finest bloodline miniature bull terrier he could from Ireland as he thought for once smaller is better, now he needed something with a bit of brains. He visited a neighbor farmer where he struck gold.. He saw how a small little jack russel was busy taking on a mamba very cleverly and with great precision. So the hunt began to get the biggest and most athletic jack russel he could lay his hands on. After a 2 year search he found it in the small town of Prieska, so the cross breeding between mini bully and jack russel began. A instant success story as with his first hunt he had a young lion male that was very elusive, the bully mixes took the scent and cornered him , the 3 mixes kept him cornered until the hunters could catch up and put the lion down. Till today we are breeding the mixes (for personal use and never selling as this is our pride and joy). We have hunted every type of dangerous animal with our mixes to great success .. yes this may not be your perfect hunting dog but this is surely ours
    Interesting! My own experiece with jack russels (I love them) is that they are to "brave" for hunting. I have seen many killed by bushbuck and bushpig.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmal View Post
    Maybe we should try our hand at a bully fox terrier cross .. but my thats gonna be 1 ugly doggo might frighten the predators to death ... who knows
    Haha that would be the case for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    Interesting! My own experiece with jack russels (I love them) is that they are to "brave" for hunting. I have seen many killed by bushbuck and bushpig.
    The Mix weirdly enough works as they bark and try and nip the lion but never get too close so he can get them , ive never attempted boar hunting with the mix as I think they would most likely get hurt because you cant "play" with a boar/pig , my father inlaw has had great success with the pitbulls though .. or so he says haha