User

Default Minimum Calibre Brown Bear Ursus Arctos

So while my tax return is slowly being processed, I can only dream what to do with it.

A Business friend of mine is doing more and more work in Sweden, and has invited my to friends of his there later this year.

So he told me a Bear hunt in Sweden is affordable- at 3000 Euro for a four day hunt,plus 1000 Euro Trophy fee. That is hunting from a hide, with bear being baited, which is legal in Sweden.

I might just be able to do it next year August. Flights from Ireland to Sweden is 64 Euros on Ryanair.

What is the minimum calibre for hunting a Bear? It is not regarded as tough skinned as far as I know?
    Ideally I would like to try my .416Rem on it, but logistics and cost travelling back and forth from Ireland to SA and then Sweden might hinder that.

Any of you hunted Brown Bear before? Where? How much money?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Minimum Calibre Brown Bear Ursus Arctos

Double check those prices. It sounds a tad cheap.

The last trophy fee I saw for bear was 20,000 crowns. That's closer to 2000€. There may also be some fees to pay to get a hunting licence and insurance for the duration of your stay.

Scandinavia expensive. They also have a healthy population of hunters. Any game hunted there by foreign hunters is going to cost a pretty penny.

As for calibre, 338 Win Mag seems to be a favourite for bear hunters.

While calibre is important, you should focus on acquiring quality optics if you don't already have some. Light gathering ability becomes crucial during hunting season in Europe.

It's becomes even more important up north if you are hunting in a forested area.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Double check those prices. It sounds a tad cheap.

The last trophy fee I saw for bear was 20,000 crowns. That's closer to 2000€. There may also be some fees to pay to get a hunting licence and insurance for the duration of your stay.

Scandinavia expensive. They also have a healthy population of hunters. Any game hunted there by foreign hunters is going to cost a pretty penny.

As for calibre, 338 Win Mag seems to be a favourite for bear hunters.

While calibre is important, you should focus on acquiring quality optics if you don't already have some. Light gathering ability becomes crucial during hunting season in Europe.

It's becomes even more important up north if you are hunting in a forested area.
    I do have a 8x57JS with a Leopold VX3 3,5-14 on it. Would that be suitable with a 195grain Hornady Interlock or Sako Hammerhead 200grain?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I do have a 8x57JS with a Leopold VX3 3,5-14 on it. Would that be suitable with a 195grain Hornady Interlock or Sako Hammerhead 200grain?
    I don't see why not, but a better source of info would be to check the Swedish hunting forums. They will be better sources of info.

You also need to consider the possibility that you may be hunting with dogs. This usually means that the the game animal is moving while you have to take a shot. As always shot placement is key.

Look at his Chanel to get an idea of what hunting up north is all about:

Take the biggest calibre you can shoot well (keeping in mind that Swedish Hunting law may require a minimum calibre - but chances are the local guys just shoot everything with 6,5x55)

If I were to buy a rifle for this hunt, it would be a Heym SR31/Tikka T3x / Blazer R8 in 9,3x62 with a over barrel suppressor, with a high quality, low magnification scope wit an illuminated reticle.