Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting Simulator

On the simulator.

The SANDF uses one. I visited my old unit about 15 years ago and they kindly allowed myself an my colleague a tour. On this tour we got to shoot R4's with lazer sight on targets. Their was a pnuematic connection to the R4 so that cycled perfectly.

I asked why the need. It was explained to me that the modern recruit has on average no understanding or ability with a rifle. The military were shooting out thousands of rounds to no effect, apart from the obvious dangers associated with gun novices and safety.

Unless a new recruit passes a certain level of proficiency they may not go to a live range.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Yes Andrew. We have a similar type of Sim that we have developed, but only for spec ops shot training. So the idea would be to modify that for the hunting industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I mean is that if you are a good hunter then you probably can get MOA or 29mm groups over 100m off the bench. One should reasonably expect that these will open up with less than favorable hunting positions. So this mean that you could expect to get +- 14.5mm POI from you POA.

However with a flinch you could significantly increase this deviation of +_ 14.5mm.

From a marketing point of view, where does this need come from? Or are you creating a need. Personally I could not see a need to purchase a program like this, might explore it if it was freeware.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

this is typically a system that the people should be using to exercise and keep in practice.

this is would not be typically sold to the individual user but rather to a shooting range or gun shop

I am sure if had spent some time on such a sim it would have had an impact on me previous hunt. I refer to my post on "catastrophic hunt" don't you think?

User

I struggle to see the need for such a system. Now if it could be packaged as a recreational system to private individuals easy to use and fun (also training) and be at a price point that the average user can by it for the price of playstation i think it could do exceptionally well.

I can see it being a big hit at things like Huntex, and the bigger gun/ outdoor shops like S&O.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Maybe it will help Hunters. Still upsets me that guys sits on range shooting over an expensive Benchrest and sandbag. And then believes he is ready for the hunt hitting the paper target or gong out to +300m. Shooting 1/4 MOA possibly even.

Then goes to farm. Adds a Harris Type Bipod or using shooting Sticks or shoot over bakkie rail. Then at even a 100m they go and shoot the buck through front legs. Or hind quarter and stomach shots.

This happens as shooting from a bench no where near prepares you for hunting. On bench you only verify your scope, rifle and ammo is working from a stable platform. Not at all preparing you for hunting situation at all.

Hunters should on range use what they will use in field. like use the bipod or shooting sticks. Like in field.

Shooting from a Bipod is way different then from a rest. You need to preload the Bipod and practice this.

So in a way I see this will help hunters get ready to hunt and show them their weaknesses.

Something they should actually have addressed at range.

@ shooty, so don't you think that something like this simulator would actually work in preparing a hunter more?

in Europe at least in The Netherlands you are mandated to go through this type of training as part of getting a hunting license.

Perhaps if more of the SA biltong hunters go through this type of training their reputation may just improve. I know I am probably touching a nerve here, but many of the farms I have visited despise biltong hunters and see them as a necessary evil.

It seems that the hunting associations in Europe have a lot more teeth and are taken a lot more seriously than the organisations in South Africa.

As an example, I cannot even enter the range here due to me not being a member of an organisation.

@ Akading. Exactly thats why I started saying Maybe it will help hunters. Because just shooting on range from bench. Equals not putting the animal ethically down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast