Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: You don't need to aim a shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    You don't do either.

If you're suggesting that you just point (or aim or whatever) a shotgun in the general direction, and hit anything in the vicinity, you've never been wingshooting.
    50 shots and I got two clays last shoot should tell you some thing.
    Ok - but regardless, I am not suggesting a magical shot gun sprays all and sundry that side of barrel, I am saying that so far my understanding is you do not aim a shotgun, the term is you "point" a shotgun. You look at your target and point at where you looking and if your gun fits you you will hit where you are looking pointing.
    You point a shotgun
    Its a gun not a rifle
    Still learning scatter guns , but those are two nuances I seem to recall

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    50 shots and I got two clays last shoot should tell you some thing.
    Ok - but regardless, I am not suggesting a magical shot gun sprays all and sundry that side of barrel, I am saying that so far my understanding is you do not aim a shotgun, the term is you "point" a shotgun. You look at your target and point at where you looking and if your gun fits you you will hit where you are looking pointing.
    You point a shotgun
    Its a gun not a rifle
    Still learning scatter guns , but those are two nuances I seem to recall
    You mount and swing a shotgun, you do not "aim or point" it. It's a fluid action that develops over a few years. Note: I am referring to wingshooting, and not SD.

Banned

Further lesson learnt - thanks mate

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    you do not aim a shotgun - you point a shotgun

You aim it if you want to hit what you're shooting at.

Especially with the defensive use mentioned in the OP

User

meh i only use rubber batton rounds anyways

less-lethal mos

In wingshooting and Clays which I compete in. If you aiming your gonna hear the words lost from the RO. As you will be missing the clay. By the time youve aimed the clay is long gone and to far for your shot.

Its all about mounting of the shotgun. It should also fit you. And the shotgun should be so firm in your cheek. When you done your cheek should be pink. Also if you lift your trigger finger elbow high to level with ground it will help push the stock more into cheek. So when you follow clay the shotgun will point in direction where your eyes are looking. As long as you look forward at clay. There is no time to aim over the barrel at sights at a clay.

With a Pump Action for Self defence its slightly different as you have to look over barrel and try and aim at your target.

But if your mounting the shotgun correct in shoulder and against cheek. It will brake the clays for you. It becomes so instinctive mounting the Shotgun looking at clay and braking it.

Any case in clay shooting you dont aim at a clay. One of the biggest reason new people miss.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    In wingshooting and Clays which I compete in. If you aiming your gonna hear the words lost from the RO. As you will be missing the clay. By the time youve aimed the clay is long gone and to far for your shot.

Its all about mounting of the shotgun. It should also fit you. And the shotgun should be so firm in your cheek. When you done your cheek should be pink. Also if you lift your trigger finger elbow high to level with ground it will help push the stock more into cheek. So when you follow clay the shotgun will point in direction where your eyes are looking. As long as you look forward at clay. There is no time to aim over the barrel at sights at a clay.

With a Pump Action for Self defence its slightly different as you have to look over barrel and try and aim at your target.

But if your mounting the shotgun correct in shoulder and against cheek. It will brake the clays for you. It becomes so instinctive mounting the Shotgun looking at clay and braking it.

Any case in clay shooting you dont aim at a clay. One of the biggest reason new people miss.
    You just described aiming the shotgun. Because none of that is just pointing:)

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post

I don't think you should be braking anything. Rather follow through and break the clays...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2