Default Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 vs Leupold VX-2 6-18x40

Hi Guys

I have the above Vortex on a 6.5x55 (CZ550 Full stock 20" barrel) but seems a bit heavy and too big for this short barrel full stock rifle. Also with the Bavarian style stock and the 50mm lens it seems my eye doesn't align 100%. I have added a comb raiser but still not 100%.

So I was thinking on swapping it out with the above Leupold? Would it be wise? Would you recommend it?

Else I need to put the Vortex on my son's 223 Remington and buy and smaller/lighter scope for the full stock, but financially this wil cost more compared to swapping the Vortex with the Leupold.

Opinions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you

Default Re: Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 vs Leupold VX-2 6-18x40

Question. I think its called a Cheek Riser. But noticed that the Air Arms Hunting SA guy seems to call it a Cheek Raiser. Did the name change or is it called a Riser and a Raiser.

User

That big 1-mile-shot scope seem quite out of place on a handy short-barreled full stocked rifle. How far do you intend to shoot with that setup?

I would have prefered a low mounted 2-7x28 or similar on that rifle. That should enable precise hits on game out to 250m and even a little more.

User

Hi Meester50,

My 243 had a Monte Carlo style stock and I struggled to get a decent cheek weld as I couldn't get nice and low behind the scope. I also tried the Beartooth Comb riser kit (neoprene sock with inserts), but that wasn't very stable. Ultimately I replaced the stock with a straight American style stock (not what you want to do I'm sure).

If you decide to change scopes drop me a PM, I have one those Leupold scopes for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    That big 1-mile-shot scope seem quite out of place on a handy short-barreled full stocked rifle. How far do you intend to shoot with that setup?

I would have prefered a low mounted 2-7x28 or similar on that rifle. That should enable precise hits on game out to 250m and even a little more.
    Thanks A-R. That is why I wanted to get a smaller scope. I was offered the Leupold 6-18 as a direct swop for the Vortex, and due to the 6-18 also being a 40mm I thought it might be an option to look at.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meester50 View Post
    Thanks A-R. That is why I wanted to get a smaller scope. I was offered the Leupold 6-18 as a direct swop for the Vortex, and due to the 6-18 also being a 40mm I thought it might be an option to look at.
    I used a (borrowed) Leupold VX2 6-18x on my heavy-barreled 243 for 6 months, mostly in hunting rifle competition. It works very well, even though I seldom dialed it up to max magnification. Nothing wrong with the scope, in the right application. The reason I had it, was because my own Leupold was sent back to the factory for service. It took 6 months to get back, but fortunately my dealer was willing to let me use their demo scope. That was kind of them.

If it was a Vortex, the scope would have been replaced in a week or 2. That alone is worth a lot to me. I would choose the Vortex over the Leupold, but definiteley not on that particular rifle.

User

Hi Guys

I have the above Vortex on a 6.5x55 (CZ550 Full stock 20" barrel) but seems a bit heavy and too big for this short barrel full stock rifle. Also with the Bavarian style stock and the 50mm lens it seems my eye doesn't align 100%. I have added a comb raiser but still not 100%.

So I was thinking on swapping it out with the above Leupold? Would it be wise? Would you recommend it?

Else I need to put the Vortex on my son's 223 Remington and buy and smaller/lighter scope for the full stock, but financially this wil cost more compared to swapping the Vortex with the Leupold.

Opinions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Cant go wrong with the Leupold , I have the same one on my 270 and its probably my fav of my collection, its low and flush if you get the correct rings which gives it that sleek look , dont get me wrong the vortex is also an amazing scope but Leupold is a cult classic for a reason. So in short go with the Leupold

User

Take it from an old timer you cant go wrong with the old and trusted, I have 2 Vortex Vipers on my rifles after I sold the Leupolds and dread my decision daily. The support from Leupold was always a headache but if you deal with the importers directly things go much smoother, plus it is international so no matter where you go its covered, friend of mine went hunting in Namibia and had issues with his , took it to the agents in Windhoek, sorted within the day which was a tick for Leupold

The clarity on the Leupold is just spectacular, if you need any more info send me a DM and ill explain a bit more in detail