Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Suggestions for Modern Semi-Auto .22 Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by CODENAME47 View Post
    Hi All,

I’ve been looking for a .22 semi auto pistol, but haven’t been having much luck. I’d prefer a .22 version of a popular pistol like 1911-22, not really looking for a target style pistol like Ruger & Browning. Thus far, the Ruger SR22 is the only modern pistol I’ve been able to find, does anyone have any leads on other makes and models that are out there - new or used would be fine. Pistol will be used for plinking and occasional steel challenge

Thanks in advance :)
    I can not yet quite reconcile "1911" with "modern". Heck, that thing is 108 years old already! Ok, the original 22 rimfire variants (Colt Ace) are slightly newer, but not by much.

The old Ruger Standard is quite modern compared to a 1911, and it is as old as the firm Sturm Ruger and Co. It was the first gun mass-produced by the firm, and it put the firm on the road to the sucess it is today. The subsequent MkII, MkIII and MkIV versions were merely updates on the proven platform. You can't go wrong with any of them.

If you want a 22 pistol resembling a modern polymer-framed pistol, there are quite a few options. The Walther P22 has been around for a while and it seems to last well and work reliably. The S&W M&P is a great pistol and all users seem quite happy. I have no experience with the Ruger SR22, but it seems to fit into a similar slot.

If you want a 1911 style pistol, the GSG pistols seem to be a good option. A friend owns one. It has a Commander-length barrel and weighs much less than a steel centerfire 1911. Reliability with plated HV ammo is good. I have no idea how durable they are.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc05 View Post
    Look at Grand Power series 22 pistols contact MRS Techniques.
    Thanks, I’ll look into this. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I can not yet quite reconcile "1911" with "modern". Heck, that thing is 108 years old already! Ok, the original 22 rimfire variants (Colt Ace) are slightly newer, but not by much.

The old Ruger Standard is quite modern compared to a 1911, and it is as old as the firm Sturm Ruger and Co. It was the first gun mass-produced by the firm, and it put the firm on the road to the sucess it is today. The subsequent MkII, MkIII and MkIV versions were merely updates on the proven platform. You can't go wrong with any of them.

If you want a 22 pistol resembling a modern polymer-framed pistol, there are quite a few options. The Walther P22 has been around for a while and it seems to last well and work reliably. The S&W M&P is a great pistol and all users seem quite happy. I have no experience with the Ruger SR22, but it seems to fit into a similar slot.

If you want a 1911 style pistol, the GSG pistols seem to be a good option. A friend owns one. It has a Commander-length barrel and weighs much less than a steel centerfire 1911. Reliability with plated HV ammo is good. I have no idea how durable they are.

I thought I might catch some flak for using modern and 1911 in the same sentence. By “modern” I meant something currently in production, as opposed to the Stars and Llamas, because those are the only pistols I’ve been able to find in CPT. I like the GSG 1911’s but apparently they’re no longer available in SA; unless someone has a 2nd hand one to sell?

Thanks, Someone else also recommended the Walther .22; I’ve contacted Spartan via FB

P.S. I was watching an episode of Forgotten Weapons this afternoon and the 1st .22 1911’s date back to 1914. The military requested them as a more economical training tool

User

Thanks, Someone else also recommended the Walther .22; I’ve contacted Spartan via FB
    I got one, well actually my son did, from Bellum Arcus. They sent me a couple of spare mags too. Grip is configured for small hands.

User

I own 2 beretta 71s and was wondering if there is a modern/ in production equivalent. Current semi autos seem to be bigger and don't have the same reputation for reliability.

Banned

I thought I might catch some flak for using modern and 1911 in the same sentence. By “modern” I meant something currently in production, as opposed to the Stars and Llamas, because those are the only pistols I’ve been able to find in CPT. I like the GSG 1911’s but apparently they’re no longer available in SA; unless someone has a 2nd hand one to sell?

P.S. I was watching an episode of Forgotten Weapons this afternoon and the 1st .22 1911’s date back to 1914. The military requested them as a more economical training tool
    IIRC, tactical 22 were the agents for the GSG firearms

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    IIRC, tactical 22 were the agents for the GSG firearms
    GSG 1911 would’ve been 1st prize for me, but GSG & apparently German firearm manufacturers in general will no longer sell to South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Spartan Arms, just posted that they've received stock of Walther PPQ's in 22lr. Personally I would go with a S&W M&P 22 as you are able to get great aftermarket support from the importer.

I have had an issue with a cracked slide(Factory Fault) on a brand new M&P.22 and have being trying for two and a half years now to have this slide replaced despite even sending Smith & Wesson photographs and a lab report confirmation from a lab that it is indeed a crack.

Not even a response or acknowledgement from Smith &Wesson despite their International Manager Mr Jeff Croze personally and categorically
    apologising and promising me a new slide and even giving me his business card at Huntex two years ago asking me to send him the photographs for a warranty claim which I did several times and never ever heard from him again despite several follow up attempts.

This message was also conveyed to the importers whom I later went to see again.

The Smith and Wesson agents in South Africa both told me to raise the complaint with Smith &Wesson USA directly despite the gun still having been under warranty then and only two months old at the time.

Sorry but my experience was not good and hence I have written it off as a bad experience and as bad debt.

I do feel much better having moved on since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2