Default Howa Mini Action

Hi

I would like some help on choosing a small game rifle

choices are howa mini action 223 or 7.62 x 39

Could i get some feedback from owners

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Howa Mini Action

It does come in a 6.5grendal as well which is also n viable option for small to medium game? Keep in mind that some game farms won't allow you to hunt with anything smaller than a .243 calibre
    Any specific species you are looking at and where are you predominantly going to be hunting with it?

User

My wife has a 7.62x39 Howa, so far 10 impala taken with the rifle, all 1 shot kills with minimal meat damage. Great calibre for bushveld hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    It does come in a 6.5grendal as well which is also n viable option for small to medium game? Keep in mind that some game farms won't allow you to hunt with anything smaller than a .243 calibre
    Any specific species you are looking at and where are you predominantly going to be hunting with it?
    I don't see myself using it for anything bigger than blesbok as I have a 308 for bigger game.

Reason I'm looking at those options is mainly d light weight and lesser meat damage on d smaller animals

User

Reloading options between the 2 seems to favor the 223 in terms of choice and availability.

User

I went through this decision and eventually settled on the 223 because long term ammo costs & availability (components &/or factory ammo) seem to favour it over the other 2 calibres and because the 223 came on special at my local gun shop at the right time. My 11 year old son will be main user and the mini action will suit him because it is small and light.

Some of my thoughts on the other 2 calibres in Howa mini action were:

6.5 Grendel brass difficult to get and more expensive than 223 but it would definitely be a better option than 223 if you're going to (responsibly) hunt anything other than dassies/rabbits/vermin. Target shooting eg veldskiet not as flat a trajectory as 223. 6.5 bullets easily available but I decided that if I wanted a 6.5 in the safe it might be more sensible to get a 6.5 Grendel with it's higher performance but the ability to download to Grendel performance if I wished.

7.63x39 also better option for hunting but also has poorer trajectory than 223 and Grendel. I think this calibre would be best utilised on a rifle where one has the option of open sights such as on the CZ527 (which can be twice the price of Howa depending on which version you choose). Howa does not come with open sights and I didn't have the urge to get a set fitted so I would have been left with option of scope only. Brass & ammo easily available but limited choice of .312 calibre bullets.

Having said all that, every now and then I think about going back and buying the Grendel as well........ ;-)

User

I have two mini's.

The first was a .223 " thin contour barrel" and my daughter shot her first Blesbuck with it. 55gr TTSX dropped on the spot with a perfect heart shot at 107M The rifle is cheap to shoot and practice with. The stock has been altered (apart from bedding, trigger,silencer, bolt polishing and crown) I have asked the gunsmith to alter the stock to be adjustable. Now the length is adjusted as the youngster grow.
    The 6.5 grendel "bull"came later, the barreled action was flitted to a chassis made by Arms. This setup is extremely accurate yet heavy for hunting purposes.
    If I had an option of only one rifle ,I would settle for the 6.5G yet the .223 is exonomical and if the hunting farm allow .223 one can shoot Impala/ Blesbuck with ease...