Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Need Help Identifying & Valuing Old Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by S_J View Post
    Attachment 30684Attachment 30685

The H&R shotgun, any info will be greatly appreciated.
    All I can tell you is that's an old H&R, which you already know anyway.

I know little to nothing about them other than to say they are really collectible here in SA. USA might be different but even that is doubtful. Hammers make it less appealing for someone that is just looking for a gun they can shoot with. I had a .410 H&R hammerless side-by-side in pretty good condition that I eventually gave away. Hope you can do better if your intention is to sell it. Classic Arms in Witbank would be able to put it on their next auction.

I don't know BBCT, obviously no one's going to buy it for home defence, but I've seen damn near the exact same shotguns get very good prices in the US and UK.

I am in fact waiting for Classic Arms to get back to me.

My initial instinct was that it may be worth something to a collector, and my research seemed to confirm this, but I have just got a valuation from an expert who says it is in fact worth very little...

Seems you're correct BBCT.

User

Quote Originally Posted by S_J View Post
    My initial instinct was that it may be worth something to a collector, and my research seemed to confirm this, but I have just got a valuation from an expert who says it is in fact worth very little...

Seems you're correct BBCT.
    Yep, H&R (& for that matter any of the American shotguns) are nowhere near as sought after as English shotguns. Situation is the USA might be different because Americans like & collect American shotguns, but nobody else does.

Your research was probably based on American websites & forums?

The thing is they fetch good prices on UK auctions as well. Not as good as in the US, but still.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2