Thread: The LRDG

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default The LRDG

"The Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) was a reconnaissance and raiding unit of the British Army during the Second World War.

Originally called the Long Range Patrol (LRP), the unit was founded in Egypt in June 1940 by Major Ralph A. Bagnold, acting under the direction of General Archibald Wavell. Bagnold was assisted by Captain Patrick Clayton and Captain William Shaw. At first the majority of the men were from New Zealand, but they were soon joined by Southern Rhodesian and British volunteers, whereupon new sub-units were formed and the name was changed to the better-known Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). The LRDG never numbered more than 350 men, all of whom were volunteers. ........."
    live out your imagination , not your history.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: The LRDG

".........In October 1941 the LRDG was expanded to 10 patrols by the simple method of splitting the existing patrols into two-half patrols; the New Zealanders formed A Squadron comprising 'R1', 'R2', 'T1', and 'T2' Patrols and the British and Rhodesians formed B Squadron comprising 'G1', 'G2', 'S1', 'S2', 'Y1', and 'Y2' Patrols. The 'H' Patrol had been disbanded in September 1941 after three months service.

These two squadrons were joined in December 1941 by the Indian Long Range Squadron, which had been formed by volunteers from the 2nd Lancers, 11th Cavalry and the 18th Cavalry, all part of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade.[21] The Indian Squadron was organized along ethnic and religious lines with the first two patrols originally known as 'J' (Jats) and 'R' (Rajput) Patrols. Their designations were changed to 'I1' and 'I2' to avoid confusion. In October 1942 two further Indian patrols were formed: 'M' (Muslim) and 'S' (Sikh) Patrols, which became the 'I3' and 'I4' Patrols......"

The Indians had fought extremely well and were a day away from setting foot on German soil. The English stopped them because they wanted the first Allied on German land to be white and had make a concerted effort to get white troops in front.
    The Indians were then sent to North Africa.

~ you wont find this referenced in English language print .
    Last edited by KK20; 16-07-2019 at 23:19.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: The LRDG

Indeed.

The last (known) surviving members of the Rhodesian LRDG, Alf Page, passed away recently in Hamilton.