Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Question Re: 6mm Lee Navy -- can it be resurrected ?

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Personally, I don't see the use of building a 6mm Lee chambered in a modern action. What advantages would that have over all the more recent 6mm cartridges? If purely for nostalgic reasons, then stick with the original rifle. It is a cartridge that was well ahead of it's time.
    Thanks
    Original rifle was a bit of a clunker ( straight pull bolt ) -- two have blown one with one fatality
    The cartridge has never really found a home in a modern rifle -- so it's real potential has never been explored.

I was wondering what engineering processes the manufacturers use when building actions ( receivers )
    Are they cast / cold forged / machined by CNC ?
    Perhaps one could get one -- "in the green"-- so to say , before final machining
    In which case the gunsmith cuts the unfinished bolt face to the necessary dimensions.

Obviously if there is a -- production line then one-offs are a problem , all actions and bolts might be parts of an already bespoke finished product

I wonder if SAKO sell actions / barrelled actions ? ( one of the few high end manufacturers to produce LEFT hand actions )

User

Default Re: 6mm Lee Navy -- can it be resurrected ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    I was wondering what engineering processes the manufacturers use when building actions ( receivers )
    Are they cast / cold forged / machined by CNC ?
    Perhaps one could get one -- "in the green"-- so to say , before final machining
    In which case the gunsmith cuts the unfinished bolt face to the necessary dimensions.
    There are varius production processes used. For example, CZ and Ruger actions and bolts are investment castings. (This is not to be confused with a 3-legged cast iron pot.) Remington actions are machined from a piece of (thick walled) tubing. The more expensive actions, think custom square bridge magnum Mauser replica, are CNC-milled from a piece of solid steel. This method can make almost anything, but the cost for a once-off custom action will be significant. Most actions are heat treated at some point in the process.

User

Proper professional heat treatment is not that expensive anymore. Bohler quoted me R480/kg. Minimum charge R480. Not sure if that includes analysis of final hardness.

User

You can always order a custom Remington 700 bolt body from PTG in the USA. they have the option to select a PPC .447 bolt face, with some other custom options. That might work. Or if asked they might even make up on to your specifications. But the exercise will cost a bit.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 6mm Lee Navy -- can it be resurrected ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    You can always order a custom Remington 700 bolt body from PTG in the USA. they have the option to select a PPC .447 bolt face, with some other custom options. That might work. Or if asked they might even make up on to your specifications. But the exercise will cost a bit.
    Yes thanks
    Just discovered this
    Remington produce / sell actions ( bolt plus receiver ) in moly and stainless in RH as well as LH and in different action lengths
    I am going to see if my buddy in Texas ( FFL ) can get me an action on sale / auction etc -- at a bargain
    Then just get a "swop-out" custom bolt with the correct bolt face dimensions and have the final machining done here.
    All sorts of other customisation options with the popular Remington 700

Might be doable without breaking the bank

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 6mm Lee Navy -- can it be resurrected ?

A little bit of additional background information very similar 6mm Cartridges ( German this time )

6 x 58 G Mauser

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/6-x-58-g-mauser/25390

http://www.municion.org/Dwm/Dwm444b.htm

6x58 Forster

http://www.municion.org/Foerster/Rimless.htm

Note that the .236 spoken about is the 6mm Lee Navy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2